Chapter 8

Lily:

A/N: I have to apologize for my recent chapters. Due to the fact that I'm typing this on my phone there is some spelling or grammatical errors. Sometimes my phone auto corrects words that don't even need to be corrected. *face palm*. So please bear with me.

A groan escaped me as I opened my eyes. It was night time and thankfully I hadn't been mauled by any beast while unconscious. What the hell happened?

I remember being attacked and allowing Inclementia to take control. Although I was good at fighting beasts that didn't automatically mean I was adept with handling someone that could calculate and think while fighting. Damn. Why the hell was I hunted down like a rabid dog?

Inclementia seemed silent and unwilling to give me any clues but from the brief flashes of memory I knew that this hadn't been the first time she'd faced off with Elves.

Elves. To think that they still existed. My mind was still whirling with that knowledge.

Not to mention: What in the world had she and I created with that last blast? 

I understood what she was thinking perfectly fine but she was jumping around with them to fast for me to actually completely comprehend. Yin and Yang?

'In Chinese philosophy, yin yang describes how seemingly opposite or contrary forces may actually be complementary, interconnected, and interdependent in the natural world, and how they may give rise to each other as they interrelate to one another.'

(A/N: I'm just taking the definition from Google because it highlights what I want to get across without me going in needless circles.)

A memory dredged up from my past life. I had been thoroughly intrigued with the Chinese culture, history and religious beliefs. Mostly I blamed that curiosity on the fact that for one: Americans don't have any type of culture to speak of and it's beautiful how our Eastern counter parts are when they put so much time, effort, joy and love into their way of life. Secondly, I had an excessive amount of time laying alone in a hospital bed or my bed at home with nothing but my laptop and YouTube had become something of an escape for me among other things. Lastly, I thought maybe there would be something... anything really, that would give me a miracle.

So I understood what Inclementia was speaking of and could even vaguely guess what she meant. Her magic and my own .. or would it be my magic as a whole? seemed to be two opposing forces. Unfortunately, from what I know, yin and yang are supposed to be a symbolism for female and male.. right?

But then I think about the definition and compare it to what I think I know and everything gets tangled and a mess.

Sigh.

Okay. So basically her magic is completely opposite of my own. Lily, me, has the element for Nature.. among other things.. where as Inclementia's magic is cold, deadly, and... evil?

No, magic isn't inherently evil or good. I'd like to say it's more dark in nature as opposed to my body's natural element. Which means our magic is on two complete opposing sides of a spectrum.

Looking around the now destroyed radius of forest that I had been laying unconscious in, it's understandable on why I agreed with her. I've seen some weird shows, movies and read a lot of Chinese novels as well as manga. From my gathered observations from fantasy things, when two opposing forces combine like this it would cause a large explosion.

I rubbed my temples from the pounding migraine.

'Stop thinking. You're giving me a fucking headache.'

"Seriously? I know. We kind of live in the same head. Maybe you could explain why someone wants to kill us," I spoke out loud in order to lessen the migraine a bit.

'No idea. Who have you pissed off lately? Maybe your little spawn went and got someone to off ya.'

My jaw clenched before huffing out a breath and turning to walk towards my Nest; trying to put this entire ordeal behind me. Literally.

Crunching and splashes sounded as I stumbled across a more wet area littered with fallen branches. At least the water didn't reach my ankles like in some parts. It made it easier to hear sounds underfoot before danger popped up. My magic was still tugging painfully on the elements around me in order to 'recharge' what I used earlier.

"Maybe I should've checked that guy for anything that may have been a clue on why he was trying to kill us," I mumbled as I hoisted myself over a rather large felled tree trunk.

'Don't be stupid. We quite literally blew the sod up. There was nothing left of him that could give away why the asshole decided to attack us. Just toss it up to extremely bad luck.'

I rolled my eyes, "Somehow, I feel that 'bad luck' has a name. By the name of Inclementia."

'So, we're bad luck. As I said. It's nice when you're right. Something you'll never feel when having an argument with me.'

"That made absolutely no sense since I'm having an argument with myself essentially. Therefore, I'd both win and lose irregardless," I commented off handedly before reaching into my pocket dimension inside of my first Star and pulling out a light weight fighter jacket.

As the night had progressed, the weather had decided to take a turn. Clouds begun to form in the previously clear sky and the temperature dropped lower; to the extent that I needed something warmer since my magic was currently low.

When I looked up to the sky in order to observe the stars to figure out the distance to the outskirts of my Nest, I realized that I had somehow ventured off further than anticipated earlier. It would probably take another hour or two in order to reach my destination.

'I need to go to the Deathlands'

I stumbled a little at the abrupt way Inclementia had spoken. At least she wasn't demanding it of me.

"We would be dead as soon as we arrived there. Even if there are tons of people heading that way that doesn't mean it's safe."

'Have you not been paying attention? Your boys will be traveling there for that idiotic 'mission' that has been spreading through all the Nests. I'm unsure when they plan to go but surely you wouldn't just allow them to travel without you.'

When had this happened? This was definitely Damon's influence.

I wanted to growl in frustration but decided that talking to myself was bad enough.

"Do you know when they were planning on leaving?"

'If you don't, then neither do I. Ask yourself.'

"What could possibly endear them to want to throw their lives away so easily?"

'Sometimes it's easier to understand if you hold the same interests.'

Her chuckling resounded within my head as I tried to ignore her nonsense and continue on my way.

(Releasing this a day early on my end. It's been a pretty awful week for me so hopefully this will cheer someone's day up. Hopefully everyone is having a good weekend. 😊)