Chapter 18

"Go back to sleep," Inclementia spoke once she glanced up from the Netherworld Wolf she was carving up. 

Vincent narrowed his eyes and observed her as though attempting to see all of her secrets but she merely turned away from his inquisitive eyes and finished carving the meat off the body. 

'Let me out.' -Lily

'I'm almost finished.' -Inclementia

She carved the last strip of meat off and sent it into her Star Space before releasing the hold on her Blood tool as well as body. Lily began wiping her hands on the ground to get rid of the blood still left on them. 

Vincent had been watching her the entire time and so he noticed the slight change in demeanor while the others had followed her instructions and gone inside to get some sleep. He was confused though, Lily was completely Human so why was she so similar to a Demon?

Nathaniel and Leonard noticed Vincent's strange stare and glanced at each other before shrugging and laying down. 

"Lily?"

Lily looked up and noticed Vincent staring at her with an odd stare so she asked, "Do you need me for something?"

Her smile eased some of the worries of his but he still felt like Lily held a lot of a secrets and the easiest way for her to open up is to give up his own. 

"Can I talk to you for a bit?"

Nathaniel had fallen asleep as soon as his eyes shut but Leo merely closed his eyes and continued listening to their conversation. He understood that Vincent had been feeling uncomfortable not telling Lily about what he was for a while now. Leo was honestly shocked that Vincent could feel uncomfortable, to be honest. 

"Sure. Come over and sit next to me," Lily agreed as she sat down and rested her back against the roots covering the camp. 

Vincent stood and walked to a spot to her left before sitting with his knees drawn up. His gaze was fixed on a distant point through the clustered trees, completely avoiding Lily's searching gaze. 

"I.. . There's something I've been meaning to tell you. I've struggled with the words to say and a constant worry that you may feel disgusted with me after I tell you."

He wiped his sweaty palms on his pants as his breathing slightly sped up. It was uncomfortable for him to feel such an intense emotion without it being caused by whoever he had ingested. 

Lily frowned before saying, "You know that I'd never be disgusted with you Vincent. *sigh* Honestly speaking, you men of the house act as though I don't notice things. Did you truly believe I hadn't realized what Damon has you guys doing? I've known for a while that Damon isn't just running Auctions."

She rolled her eyes and chuckled softly. Lily knew what type of world this was and had adapted to it long ago. Of course she wouldn't want to hear the details but it didn't bother her overly much to know that they killed people. It would've been better had they found something else to excel in but if they felt that this sort of work fit them, who was she to discourage their actions. 

"You.. You know about us? What do you know," he asked worriedly. Vincent hadn't expected that Lily found out that they were Assassins. He wasn't going to admit it out loud though unless she said those exact words. 

"You kill people," she said simply as she turned to face him. 

Vincent froze in his spot and Leo had choked on his saliva while he struggled for breath. Fuck! How did she find that out?! Damon assured us that Lily was completely oblivious to the type of work he did. Poor Vincent is the one who got stuck being confronted by Lily. Thankfully I can pretend to be asleep. 

"When did you find out? Why didn't you say anything?"

"I found out a while back. It wasn't a huge deal so I didn't say anything. However, I was extremely concerned for all of your safety. Meridia is a World that runs on the rule of 'Law of the Jungle' and whoever is stronger is the winner. Death is a natural part of life here. I didn't say anything because you guys were obviously trying hard to cover it up."

Lily picked at the blood beneath her nails as she rambled out assurances to ease Vincent's mind. It made her worried that Vincent was showing so much emotions just because she found out what they did when they were with Damon. Vincent was usually very calm but currently seemed as though he was having a panic attack. 

"You.. aren't disgusted?"

"No. I'm not disgusted but I feel like you weren't going to admit to this right now. What did you want to say?"

"There's something else; another reason why I need to kill people," his voice trailed off at the end before taking a large breath and admitting, "I'm a type of demon; an Emoreiken to be exact."

"Emoreiken," she asked; completely unresponsive to him saying he was a type of demon. Vincent let out a relieved breath when he realized she wasn't disgusted with his confession just curious.

"An Emoreiken is a type of Demon that feeds on a person's emotions. When we're growing up we're emotionless 'machines' that won't feel unless we feed off a person for the first time."

Lily thought back to when she first met Vincent and realized that she recalled the exact situation he was speaking of. She remembered how straight forward and lacking humor he was as a child.

"I remember. You were really cute," she laughed when she remembered whenever Nathaniel would use sarcasm and Vincent argue with serious logic and correct him.

Vincent smiled slightly but his face looked slightly frozen. "The reason I wanted to tell you is because during this journey I will need to feed on people to survive. Food won't sustain me anymore. Once an Emoreiken feeds on a person for the first time, their diet changes from human food to human emotions instead. I can still eat regular food but it won't fill me up."

Lily was slightly surprised but sadness won out. Vincent mistook her sadness for her being upset that he'd need to kill people in her presence. When Lily realized that he'd misunderstood her, she quickly spoke up.

"I'm not upset for the reason you're thinking of. I'm sad because you've never been given a choice in the matter. Regardless if you want to do it or not, in order to stay alive, you'll need to take your sustenance from someone else. Don't ever think that I'd be upset with you," she reassured him and smoothed back his hair. 

Vincent stared into her ruby red eyes that accepted him with all his flaws. His heart felt as though a cat were scratching at it as he stared at the beautiful woman next to him. Lily has always been like this. She's always the brightest light shining in the darkest night. 

"Enough of this depressing talk. If you are satisfied with finally getting that off your chest, go back to sleep. I'll be fine by myself."

He wanted to argue that he'd stay up all night with her but she gave him a stern look and he had to acquiesce. Leo and Nathaniel were laying next to one another so Vincent laid down on the other side of the fire before closing his eyes. 

Leo kept his eyes closed and couldn't help but replay inside his head what Lily and Vincent spoke about. She's known about them being assassins and wasn't upset about it. In fact, she completely understood why they did it but she was concerned about their wellbeing. If someone would've told him that Lily was okay with them killing people, he'd have denied it wholeheartedly but he just heard it out of her own mouth. 

He'd never told any of the guys, nor Lily, about his home life. Leo was beginning to wonder if he should've done that in the first place and possibly gotten help sooner. However, if someone were to clean up his problems for him then he wouldn't break free of his inner demons.

Leo gave up on his thinking and allowed his body to finally get some sleep.