Chapter 17

A/N: Since this is now in 3rd Person POV, there will be things left unsaid for a while that you're probably anxiously waiting to find out. Mainly: What the hell happened to Helena? Will be one of your constant thoughts. Sadly, you won't know until later on in the story due to 3rd Person. We'll be following Nathaniel, Vincent, Leonard, and Lily on their journey to the Deathlands. This is my 2nd Release this week so hope you enjoy. Let me know how you like 3rd Person so far. :) Also, if you are a BL lover I'm writing a System BL Novel as well. Check that out if you're into Yaoi. x,x 

As the night progressed, the fog creeping along the forest floor seemed to accumulate and glow with hints of purple. Sounds of Shard Wolves could be heard as they woke for their nightly hunts; they were a nocturnal predator. Shard Wolves had bodies that seemed to be made of purple glass shards. Many believe that they began as normal wolves but the purple fog clung to them and solidified until their entire bodies seemed to be made of purple tinted glass instead of fur. 

There were other nocturnal beasts, similar to the Shard Wolf, such as the Tri-Tail Blue Fire; commonly known as Blue Fire. These were a type of fox with three tails and its fur is commonly silver, purple and black. All three tails look as though a blue flame floats at the tip and that's where it got its name. 

(Image not mine but this is how I imagine the Tri-Tail Blue Flame

(Image not mine but this is how I imagine the Tri-Tail Blue Flame. Unfortunately, I couldn't find an image for the Shard Wolves.)

At the moment, Lily felt as though tiny needles kept stabbing into her because of the sharp claws digging into the soil. She called forth Chao unconsciously before opening her eyes. Vincent seemed to wake up without her urgings. 

"What's going on?"

Lily looked back at him before stepping out of the opening behind Chao. "It seems we have visitors."

Without even trying, Inclementia pushed forward and took over the body. Vincent seemed to notice the subtle shift in Lily's body once Inclementia replaced Lily. Previously when looking at Lily's back, it would give Vincent the sense of security and compassion but just a subtle shift in the way she stood made the air seem to crack with adrenaline and death. 

Lily's half black and half white hair held a tint of red but Vincent mistook it for the glare from the fire. He woke Nathaniel and Leonard up and they stepped outside behind Lily. They kept their eyes trained on the darkened forest that echoed with snapping branches, crunching leaves, and the boisterous howls of the beasts heading straight towards them. 

"A Netherworld Wolf is leading the pack of Shard Wolves. I'll leave the others to you," Inclementia chuckled softly as the excitement pounded through her veins.

"Ne-netherworld Wolf," Nathaniel asked in disbelief, "We're nowhere near the inner part of the Forest. Why is there a Netherworld Wolf here?"

A Netherworld Wolf was an evolved version of a Shard wolf. They've gone through a baptism of Heavenly Fire and gained some intelligence; it also meant that it had strength similar to a 9 Star User or above. Leonard and Nathaniel were worried about whether Lily could handle a Netherworld Wolf with merely her 8 Stars.