Chapter 12

Author's Note: I'm just going to apologize for now because as an Author I'm not exactly liking this beginning. It's very slow and dragged out for me but then again I can't do without these beginning chapters. You as a Reader will need to know some of these things before the story progresses. So, I'm sorry that these past Chapters aren't really 'attention grabbing'.

Lily:

I didn't wait for Damon's urging or even argue with him about wasting precious medicine on me. My first real concern was to prevent whatever was happening before it spiraled out of control. 

Inside of a clear crystal bottle sloshed green pill that glowed subtly and when I opened the lid it released a light fragrance that seemed to permeate the air in gardenia's. I didn't have time to admire the smell though since I was practically nude in front of my brother. 

As the pill went down it began to leave a strange icy hot feeling that traveled throughout my body, starting from my head. My teeth began to chatter one second but then sweat covered my forehead the next and I couldn't seem to get it to stop. Instead of bothering with the side effects I moved on to the container filled with a lotion substance. 

It took a while for me to get through the other two medicines before I stood with my arms crossed over my chest and waited a few minutes for them to settle. 

"They should work by now. Each of those medicines have a 24 hour active period before you'll need to administer them again if they work."

I nodded my head in understand and reached a hand out, "Can you toss me a towel so I can see if it's worked?"

He moved towards the bathroom and retrieved one before tossing it into my hands. We both stood staring at the towel as we held our breaths in worry but when nothing happened we released it. 

"Something must've been correct. Since one of them was the 'winner' and you took all three, next time try to gauge out which medicine is the one that helped. Okay?"

I nodded to Damon and then asked, "Why'd you come home today? Usually you stay out. Not that I'm upset to have you here."

With my questioning him, I hurried towards the closet to retrieve a breast wrap to cover myself. While I was there I also grabbed a pair of silk pants to cover my legs so that I could give Damon his upper garment back. 

"I came home today to discuss something with you. That is.. until I walked into this disaster, of course."

I chuckled lightly and asked, "So? What was it that you wanted to discuss?"

"The boys have come to me on numerous occasions wishing to travel to the Deathlands to take part in this competition that all in Meridia have issued."

My heart clenched in worry as I thought about those young boys heading towards the most deadly land by themselves. 

'Oh stop crying a fucking river, Lily. Those 'boys' are young men and let me reiterate what you already know but choose to ignore, they have definitely killed before. How many times have you seen blood splatters on their clothes? How many times have they come home smelling of death? Stop being a complete ninny and for the love of Meridia, grow up.'

My jaw clenched at her words and I tried to push her out which was useless and only exhausted myself. I stepped out of the closet dressed in a black skirt that had a see through top garment inlaid with golden specks that mimicked stars, interspersed over the entire material. It clashed and set off the top garment that was a white breast strip that was designed in a halter top shape but instead of material wrapped around my neck it was a golden ring that clicked behind my neck. A filming gauze of white and gold draped from the bottom of the chest wrap and stopped right above my belly button.

The outfit matched my hair well and since my body didn't seem to be melting my clothes at the moment it would alright to wear it. 

Damon had been glancing at the floor where my bare feet had stepped previously but once I exited the closet he looked up and a smile lit his entire face. 

"You look beautiful as always," he said as he stepped forward and kissed my cheek. 

I froze for a second, nervous that he would be harmed from touching my skin but it seemed that nothing bad happened to him. My shoulders released the tension in them when nothing bad happened. 

"Getting back to the boys," I mumbled nervously, "I'd really rather them not go to somewhere so dangerous. Especially by themselves..."

I trailed off and thought about it. My issue is that they were young and would be traveling through an entire Nest of another people to reach the Deathlands. There were bandits, thiefs, beasts, and bad weather. Anything could happen to them and they didn't know how to Scrye Call Damon or myself in case of danger. 

Damon sat on the bed beside me and stared at me with patience as he waited for my response. I worried at my bottom lip and finally answered. 

"Fine," he released a sigh of relief, "but I'm going with them."

Damon nearly fell off the bed. 

"Absolutely not!"

"So.. you allow the boys to go but not myself? You do realize I'm stronger than them and have more experience yet you tell me no?"

Damon seemed to realize his mistake and choked a bit on his words. 

"It's completely different," he argued as he stood up and begun to pace.

"There's nothing different at all. I know you're worried that something could happen but unlike the boys, I know how to get in touch with you. If worse thing happens, you can follow your tether to me and Shadow Walk."

He knew I made sense. It was really difficult to make a tether and had cost him over a year of steady meditation and adding his element into the object for at least an hour a day. After he had created it, in order for it to be aesthetically pleasing for his sister, he had taken another half a year to slowly shape it into a tiny black chain that wrapped around my ankle. It had ten small chains that tethered little charms to it. 

Over the years that I've worn it, I've gotten used to the subtle jingling noise and haven't really paid attention to it. The jingling sounded more like music drifting in the wind rather than an ankle bracelet clinking together.

"I'll agree to you going with them," he paused as he stared into my eyes, "Only if you can hold out in a fight against me for a minute."

A.N. I hope everyone enjoyed this Chapter. I've got two things to let my Readers know:

1st: If you haven't already or didn't know, you should check out my other story 'Shuttered Impulses'. It's got FL for MC and Cultivation. It's a lot more slow paced than this series in terms of action but that's how most Chinese fantasy Novels are. I'd love your input on it. Although, I will say that it's going to be much more 'Mature' than this series *for my younger Readers*

2ndly: If you enjoy Gaming type Novels where someone reincarnates and they've got a 'System' that helps and a 'Pop-up Screen' with their stats; check out https://www.wattpad.com/story/145120101-reincarnation-of-a-modern-swordsman-~-dragons/parts or search 'Reincarnation of a Modern Swordsman ~ Dragons Evolution! but why am I a Girl?

(I will point out before you begin reading that book that English isn't the Author's first language and as such the grammar and spelling is rather poor. However, I believe the Author makes up for it immensely with the plot line and attention to detail. So if you're interested in this type of Genre, please check either or both out.)