Chapter 4: A Helping Hand (2)

Leon was sitting behind the counter together with Lyle and the two were reading from the guide Leon had gotten previously.

"So they're weak to this?"

Leon held a small vial of red liquid between his index finger and thumb and watched as it splashed around inside when he shook the bottle.

"Yes, but it takes some special plants to make, so we can't produce much..."

"So that's the root of the issue?"

"Yes! If we had more Luxum it would be easy! But sadly it's too expensive..."

Lyle's eyes seemed to gleam when he spoke of the plant, but that quickly stopped when he mentioned the price.

"Why so?"

Leon was mostly making idle chatter while he thought of a solution.

Weakness: Sharp Projectiles, Luxum Extract.

It did have more than one weakness, and the other weakness seemed much easier to exploit. There was a problem though, it seemed only the underside of the creature's belly was actually weak to sharp projectiles.

"Because Luxum is amazing! You can make all sorts of things with it, potions, healing remedies, light that lasts forever, magic energy..."

Lyle seemed very passionate about the subject.

"Bombs?"

"...Yes! Even that! It's such an amazing flower... But it only grows deep down in caverns on this island... It's dangerous to go down there, so that's why it's so expensive."

"I see."

Leon wasn't planning on offering himself to go down there, no way. He wouldn't have a chance against whatever was down there. Heck, he couldn't even beat a rabbit.

"Well, do you have an idea?"

"I think so, but I'll need to go to the store, I'll be back later."

"Alright."

Leon left the store and walked back down towards the fountain, he previously seen a general goods store so that's where he was headed. He could only assume general goods were different in a fantasy world.

After a bit of walking he entered the store, it was a surprisingly large store with multiple aisles filled with shelves. And, like he thought there was a lot of items here. Everything from metal scrap to golden swords lined the shelves.

He walked around for a bit, he did sort of have an idea, but it would be a lie to say he had anything concrete. He had two ideas, either he would make a sort of trap that fired something into the creature's stomachs, or he would need to somehow paralyze them.

He did find a few items that could help him with this, a dart launcher, which was like a short small pipe which fired darts. A pressure pad, which was a small plate that shot out a surge of magic energy when stepped on, and then he also found a low-grade paralysis potion.

But according to the cashier, the poison would be too weak to paralyzed even a single Battlebeetle.

So in the end he bought a few pressure pads, some basic mana wire, a bunch of darts and a few dart launchers. All this only cost him 1025 gold. He then went back to Lyle.

He told Lyle he needed a table to use and was the shown into the back room.

He then started working. He didn't think this would be particularly difficult, but it was. Whenever he connected to cable between the pressure pad and dirt launcher, it always instantly launched the dart rather than waiting for him to tap the pressure pad.