Chapter 21: Amber

A man in a white robe rushed through a long marble hall, clutching a small gold amulet in his right hand. He stopped in front of a large, golden door and knocked twice before stepping inside.

The room on the other side had walls made of silver, decorated by red flags and many, many bookshelves. There were weapons and pieces of armor scattered across the floor, but besides this the room was well organised.

"Brother Dionysus! You were right. The island has really started to stir things up!"

The man in the white robe spoke excitedly.

"Damn it David, stop calling me that!"

The response he got came from a man standing by one of the bookshelves, reading a red book. Rather than a white robe, this man instead wore a purple one. He was also bald, his head shining in the light from the chandelier hanging from the roof.

"Sorry Neil."

"That's more like it. We're not in public right now, so no need to be formal..."

The man called Neil paused for a few seconds to put down his book and walked over toward the other man, smiling at him.

"Of course I was right! I was told this by the Queen herself, after all."

When Neil said this, David's jaw dropped instantly.

"Seriously!? She spoke to you!?"

"Of course, I'm a head priest now after all."

Neil gestured to his purple robes.

"But there's not enough happening on the island right now... The Queen thinks that the game has gotten too tame, and I'd have to agree with her."

He pulled a chair up from a pile of swords that laid on the ground, then pulled up another for David and gestured at the man to take a seat.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, do you remember the guild wars in the past? All the chaos, the war?"

David nodded.

"Well, that was fun. This... World Councils, peace deals, shrewd politics, acting in the shadows... It's so God damn boring! It's supposed to be a game, but everyone's playing it so safe! Come on! Take some risks! Gamble!"

Neil seemed to be making himself more and more angered as he spoke, so he paused for a few seconds to calm down.

"What I mean is... We need more war. More chaos. That's what I think this 'Royal Bloodlines' thing is telling us as well."

David looked at Neil for a few seconds, but then nodded in response.

"So what's the plan?"

Neil looked at David for a few seconds before he smiled widely.

"The Queen has got everything planned out... Though I can't tell you much until it starts though. Sorry about that David."

"It's alright. I hope you'll keep me updated though."

"Of course, I'll keep you updated on 'our' war efforts..."

The two nodded at one another and smiled. They both trusted the queen, and they would not hesitate to say whatever plan she would come up with was perfect.

---

Having multiple players really did make a difference. Leon had been a member of the Golden Hammer guild for about two hours now, and they had already proven useful allies. He didn't have that much money, or that many resources. But, his new guild had both of those things apparently.