Chapter Twenty Six

I spent the rest of my week sorting out plans to rescue Maria. I've officially decided that it'll be a solo mission. I informed Tyler and he was not pleased to say it nicely. My dad finally return and came straight to my office to relieve me of duty.
"Well hi there my little princess," he greeted. I gave him a smile.
"Hey. Why does it seem like you leave and the paperwork didn't get worse?" I questioned.
"Yeah about that I have you do all the paperwork and I just check it," he admitted.
"Wow thanks. Anyhow I'm leaving tonight to go someplace I'll be home in a few days max," I stated. He gave me a suspicious glare and I shot him an innocent smile.
"Is Tyler going with you?" He inquired.
"No he is not. I'm going alone," I replied.
"I don't know what you're up to but you better be back," he warned. I nodded and smiled before he left. I instantly went to prepare. I pulled my light brown hair back into a tight high ponytail. I wore a dark grey t shirt with a black leather jacket over it. I also wore some black jeans and dark boots. I packed some extra clothes in case Maria needed them. I quickly kissed Tyler goodbye before heading for my target. I went through a lot of wooded area and finally saw a old medieval stone castle. The stone was dark and dead plants were grown up around it. The forcefield looked like black fog swirling around. I didn't like how this looked but I pushed myself to go. I kept my scent masked and movements silent. There was an open window that I quickly slipped through and my assumptions were correct. It's just as dark inside as it is outside. The wooden floors were really dark and the stone didn't look to worn away. I sniffed the air and caught two scents. I could decipher Maria's from Jace's because hers smelt good while his was just evil. I followed the scent into the basement while trying not to back to much noise. I soon saw a very skinny blonde with her wrist chained to the wall. She was in fetal position and didn't even notice me. Her hair was long and matted while her clothes were torn. I approached slowly and she started to stir.
"Hey I'm not here to hurt you. I came to get you out Maria," I whispered. At the use of her name her eyes looked up at me. She silently nodded and I knelt down next to her. I broke the shackles and felt I slight sting. It must be wolfsbane or something. After freeing her I gave her change of clothes which she took happily. After changing into the blue long sleeve and black sweatpants I told her to get on my back. She was weak and I could move easier without making noise. I masked her scent and finally got away from that dreadful place. I stopped to rest when we were over halfway to my kingdom. I offered her some food and water.
"Who are you?" She questioned.
"I'm paige but you may not know me by that. Your mate king David and son Caleb uh they're my family," I stated. She looked confused and as if she was thinking.
"David is my dad and queen Victoria is my mom. Caleb's my half brother and you're going to love his mate Caroline," I explained. A weak smile spread across her face.
"So you are real. Everyone always though David was kidding when he said he had a kid with the vampire queen," she replied. I laughed and waited for he to finish eating. I could see her body already healing and using the food to cover her bones. I quickly made my way home and let her shower. I stole one of her old dresses from her closet and after her shower she let me brush out her matted hair. I gave it a trim so it fell right below her shoulders again.
" You know dad thought you left him," I stated trying to break the silence. She fiddled with the bottom of the knee high pink dress.
"Jace threatened to kill Caleb if I didn't. I love your father very much," she said.
" I can tell. A few weeks ago I had to save Caleb from the bloody rebels which are working with Jace. Then his mate went into heat so I had to come back before I even found him and that whole ordeal was a mess," I laughed and she let out a little giggle. Her voice was very soothing. Soon I looked at her green eyes that were starting to become bright again. I slowly pulled her to her feet and lead her to my fathers place. I knew he'd be getting up for breakfast soon. I could feel Maria growing a little bit nervous but before we could make it to the door a tired Tyler made his presence known.
" I keep underestimating you. I didn't think you'd get her back before sunrise," he stated. I rolled my eyes.
" This is my glorious mate Tyler," I started. Maria said a hello and then we were on our way after a brief conversation. When we walked into my fathers kingdom I started breakfast for him. Maria tried to help but I made her sit down and relaxed.
"I'll make breakfast today and you can make it everyday after," I ordered while she sat quietly at the table.
"I had a lot of time to think while I was chained to that wall for what felt like an eternity. I thought that I was never going to even see this place again then my guardian angel came and saved me," she replied. I laughed a little bit.
"Well I am no angel but I will take credit for the rescue," I replied with a smile. I placed food in front of her and heard my dad stir upstairs.