Chapter 5: Flirty

Sometimes I regret living such an isolated life, other times I relish in it. The week after the photo-shoot had been the most terrifying and yet frightening time I had ever experienced. The views on my website had skyrocketed after the post about the photo-shoot had been published. Thanks to Emma I knew that Nate had given it a mention at the end of one of his main channel videos and advocated it on Twitter as well. The #PhotogenicSillyNate had hundred thousands mentions on the social media, along with showcasing my photos.

Sponsors had contacted me since the views had gone so high up that people now wanted to sponsor my blog. I didn’t quite know how to feel about it all. I knew some people lived of just being a blogger or a YouTuber but it seemed weird to me. My blog had always been a hobby; a creative outlet but I had never considered a job or hard work.

Nate had not texted me at all. I found myself bothered by the fact even though I shouldn’t. He had just said he would call but he could have changed his mind and that was, of course, his right. I tried to convince myself that it didn’t bother me.

“How’s many subscribers do you have now, Em?” I asked as she came out of her room and grabbed a bowl of cereal. I was sat at the counter with a Harry Potter book and my yogurt.

“Almost five thousand! Can you believe that? So many people from my Instagram and quite a few through your blog as well. It’s only been a week and I already have so many!”

I smiled widely. I hadn’t seen Emma this excited in a long time. She had gotten a good amount of response on her introductory video but her newest tag video had been hilarious. I couldn’t remember the name of the tag but it was basically her answering questions about herself but her humorous side really showed through.

I had been touched when she spoke about her loving family. I felt a little uncomfortable with her mentioned her strained relationship with mum online for so many people to see but it was outweighed when she spoke so fondly of me. I would have to talk to mum later.

My phone buzzed and, as I had done every time since I wrote that e-mail, I jumped and immediately checked it. Yes, I am that smooth.

“Who texted you?” Emma asked and snatched the phone out of my hand with her little devilish hands before I could see whom it was from.

“Give it back!” I demanded and tried to take it but Emma just got up and sprinted across the room. I followed suit and attacked her on the couch, effectively retrieving my phone.

“Gee, he must be someone special,” she laughed. “Is it someone from your lectures or might it be Nate?”

I had no doubt that my face changed colour to tomato-red. I had not told Emma about the e-mail. I don’t really know why I didn’t; I usually shared everything with her. I guess, I was afraid that he would not text me and I would look like a fool in the eyes of my sister and I didn’t want that, I wanted to keep my big sister credibility.

“Why would you say that?”

“About Nate? Well, it was pretty obvious that you two had chemistry. I mean, he practically looked star struck after he saw you.”

“No, he did not,” I protested.

“Yes, he did. Remember? You were photographing me and he came up behind you with a cheeky remark but when you turned around he would utter one word for the first couple of minutes.”

I frowned my brows and tried to remember. She was right that he did not speak but that wasn’t because he was star struck of me, he probably just got a good look of my sister close up. So my response was to stick my tongue out at my sister like we did when we were children. Well, we do it on a regular basis, so I guess we never really grew up.