Chapter 36: Vacation at Babington House

I've never been one for spontaneous vacations but I guess that one can truly change. Before 2014 I had never travelled outside of Europe and never really travelled around in the UK either. Everything seemed to have changed and I had visited other places outside of London and Brighton.

I loved being at home but slowly but surely I was beginning to appreciate travelling at least when I was with people I trusted and loved. I had thought it had sounded so cute and fun when the trio of couples; Zalfie, Janya and Narcus had told us that they were going on a relaxing vacation for a couple of days at the beginning of December but never thought more off it. That was until Nate got a call from Zoe that since they had just gotten their adorable puppy Nala, they wouldn't be able to make the trip and proposed that we go instead.

I was hesitant at first since I still sometimes worry that I'm intruding and especially since I wouldn't want to ruin the lovely trip for anyone but Nate had agreed on our behalves instantly.

Slowly, I warmed up to the idea and then the second day of December dawned, I was really excited. Nate had borrowed a car from one of his schoolmates since neither of us owned a car and taking the train to Brighton to borrow one seemed stupid. We packed the car with way too much baggage for two days and were on our way.

We were going to a place called Babington House and it was very fancy and discrete. It was located near Bath, which meant we had a very long drive ahead of us. I didn't really mind being in the car though, it felt cosy and as if we were on a field trip. My family mostly drove when we visited other countries.

I had Pentatonix's album "That's Christmas To Me" and Michael Bublé's "Christmas" on repeat the whole way along with the occasional Christmas classic. Although I wasn't an excellent singer, I wasn't horrible either and Nate had to endure my singing along the whole way. I could see that he didn't mind though; he kept stealing glances at me and then chuckled quietly. I pretended that I didn't catch him. It was too adorable.

"This is just what I needed," Nate said and let out a breath. "A little time away will do wonders."

I smiled at him. "Yes, I know you've been a bit strained lately," I said and took his hand in mine. We were on the motorway and he didn't need to shift gear that often and his hand remained in mine. I was so cheese but I loved it.

I knew that Bob's death had taken a tall on him and he had also been working with a couple of exciting projects that might be reality in the New Year. It was so exciting and he was dying to share it with someone and although he hadn't technically been allowed, he had told me everything. He knew that I would never share it, not even accidentally since I was such a private person. I still didn't have a Twitter or Instagram although I was considering caving in on the latter.

"We're going to get massages and mud baths," he gushed. I had never been to a wellness vacation spot and was very excited.

Other than Nate having to listen to my sing-along, we also chatted about everything and anything. One of my favourite parts of our relationship was that we always had so much to share with each other or just always found ridiculous topics that we would be on for hours. To an outsider it might seem weird to discuss whether the old Disney cartoons or the new ones were better or which is the best piece in a box of Quality Street but I loved every moment.

All too soon we arrived and I gasped out loud when the place came into view. It was beautiful and rustic and just breath taking. Nate had told me that it was part of the Soho House group, which were a private club for those in film, media and creative industries. The fact that the YouTubers were considered to be part of this was a big deal and I couldn't be prouder of Nate and our friends.

We checked in and we got a very nice room that came with Hunter boots to take walks in. Nate had booked us a couple's massages as soon as we arrived and I was kind of nervous with the thought that someone was going to touch me. Nate had assured that I got a female masseuse and that made me a bit more comfortable.