Chapter 37: Hanging out with YouTubers in LA

I hate when people make a big deal out of my birthday. It just makes me feel on edge and I don’t want to be the centre of attention. My birthday falls on the 5th of December, which was the day after Nate and I returned from our stay at Babington House.

I travelled home to Brighton with Nate and Emma to see my parents and the five of us had a lovely home-cooked meal and just relaxed. I had tried to forbid gifts but everyone had ignored me. My parents had gotten me a wonderful warm duvet and along with some of my favourite products from Lush. My sister had gotten me different decorative bits and bobs and a framed collage with photos of us. Even Luke had mailed a present, a new lens for my camera. Nate had gotten me a charm bracelet along with two charms, one of a telephone box and one of a palm tree representing London and LA. Kristina had bought me one of her favourite books and I was excited to read it. I was extremely happy for the thoughtfulness of all of my presents but all I really wanted was their company and support and I had gotten that as well.

A few of the YouTubers also knew that I had been my birthday but they hadn’t posted on any social media. Not that they could have reached me that way but I saw my phone lit up with endless of sweet messages and I couldn’t remember the last time I had felt so loved. I had always had my parents and Emma but even Luke had gone out of touch. It was amazing how much had changed this year.

I had mentioned my birthday in a blogpost last year and to my astonishment a lot of my readers remembered it and left sweet comments on my newest post. The fact that people remembered my birthday seemed so odd.

I said goodbye to my family after dinner since Nate and I had to get to the airport and meet Joe whom were flying to LA with us. I still wasn’t the best on a plane but I managed okay. When the three of us walked out into the warm Los Angeles air, it was all worth it.

“Good old LA sun,” Joe commented as we dragged our baggage along into a taxi.

“I’ve been addicted to vacation in December,” Nate told him. “It’s nice to get a break from England’s gloomy weather.”

“England is lovely too,” I said defending my country. I knew that the boys didn’t mean any harm but I hated when people talked trash for no reason. LA could be lovely without having to put England down in comparison.

The boys burst out into laughter and gave me a double hug.

“That’s right,” Nate agreed.

We were all pretty bombed and jetlagged and went to bed straight away. The following day we were still recuperating and spend most of it by the pool. Oli came to visit since he had been in LA for weeks and obviously Caspar joined us too. The boys walked around in their swimming trunks and they looked nothing like Californian boys. Their pale skin was a tell tale giveaway that they were used to colder weather.

It felt odd to be the only girl amongst the boys but I didn’t mind and neither did they. I even felt comfortable walking around in bikini. I heard Nate tell off the boys’ wandering eyes a couple of times but in a joking way.

We came up with silly games and some of it got caught on camera since Nate is a daily vlogger and Joe was doing Vlogmas. Mostly, we just chatted and it was so nice to catch up with the boys. I didn’t know Oli that well but I was getting to know him and he seemed lovely. Nate and I sometimes hung out with Joe and Caspar back in London but we were usually in a rush to get somewhere afterwards and it was kind of nice to have no set plans. I knew Caspar and Nate had some meetings to attend the coming days but nothing like usual.

It felt nice to get some sun but I was slightly worried that I might get sunburned. I had been a little poorly

The boys went out for dinner in the evening and met up with a few other people but I didn’t feel up for it, so I stayed in and skyped Luke while eating pizza. We had plans to meet up the day after tomorrow since he had been swamped with work and didn’t have time before then.