Chapter 20: Fun times in LA

The air was filled with tension as we settled in the living room. Nate and I sat close to each other like we always did and my brother was eyeing us from the distance of his leather chair. Emma was chatting along happily trying to reduce the tension.

It didn’t really help but I appreciated the effort. Luke was glaring daggers at Nate and I felt really awkward. I could feel Nate shift besides me as he tried to pretend that the atmosphere bothered him. I knew his body language well enough to know that it did.

Eventually Emma snapped. She always had had less patience than I.

“Come on, boys! Do you need to fistfight it out or can you just get over yourselves? Nate is older and dating our sister, get over it, Luke! And Nate, Luke has had a problem with alcohol, get over it!”

She then dramatically threw her body against the couch. Even though she was now 18 years old, she still acted like a teenager sometimes.

Nate and Luke both looked at her like she was crazy. I just burst out into laughter. Soon the others joined me and we laughed so much that our muscles got sore. And like nothing else can, laughter completely lifted the mood.

“So, tell me about your photography? I understand that you’re almost as talented as Abbs here,” Nate said and poked my side. I jolted away from his touch before he started tickling me.  

“I work freelance for some of my uncle’s companies. Pretty much, I take photos of everything, though models are my favourites,” Luke said and chuckled.

 “That’s awesome. Don’t you love working your own hours?”

 “Yes, I do. Although I pretty much jump at any opportunity, I can get. I love my work, it’s really just a hobby that I get paid to do.”

 “I know exactly what you’re talking about. I feel that way about YouTube. I am a firm believer in the quote ‘Do what you love and you’ll never have to work a day in your life’,” Nate said and I turned to look at him.

He loved that quote so much. Until recently I hadn’t been that big a fan of it. I always thought if I turned my hobby into my work, I would come to hate it. Now, I wasn’t so sure anymore. I had been doing photography more and more as a work situation and I hadn’t felt like I had worked at all while doing it.

 “You know, when my modelling career takes off, I can gain money by just looking pretty,” Emma joked. She wasn’t serious, she had learned the hard way through her internship that modelling was really hard work.

 “You know I watch all your YouTube videos, Ems. Take on a higher cut top in a while would you?” Luke commented.

 “Hey! I’m not slutty! I always look presentable!” Emma argued.

 “Yeah, but still showing skin and being as beautiful as you is a lethal combination. Right?” Luke said looking at Nate for confirmation.

 “Pretty girls always get a lot of attention, some of it is unwanted and perverted but Emma is fairly certain of herself and I think she can handle it. Mostly, it’s just compliments and bad comments gets reported,” Nate said and casually swung his arm around my shoulders. I felt this was a calculated move, as to do it when Luke was preoccupied with a topic and didn’t notice. I couldn’t say that I minded at all.

We chatted along for a few hours until it came close to dinner time. Nate pulled out his phone and I glanced over his shoulder. He always had so many unread messages. Sometimes I forgot how popular he really was. It was mostly from different friends and sometimes a few viewers got hold of his number too.

 “Would you mind if I went to dinner with a couple of the guys?” Nate asked me.

 “No, that’s fine. I think we need some time to bond as siblings,” I said and hugged him.