Chapter 30: Photo-shoot for Amity Fest

Nate and a bunch of his best YouTube friends had decided to do a three show tour in three different cities in the UK. They had only had meetings so far but the tour was set within the last week of October. I had been really excited because Nate had seemed so passionate about it. He loved being on stage and ‘performing’ with his friends.

Still, I hadn’t expected to be included in the preparations at all and was surprised when Nate casually brought up that I could be their photographer.

“What?” I asked in disbelief. “What are you talking about?”

“Just hear me out. This week we did a huge photo-shoot for a magazine and then we realised that it would be quite nice to have some group photos to use for Amity Fest. We are going to need a photographer and I’m sure that Gleam would want to hire you if you felt up for it.”

I frowned at him. He smiled that innocent yet cheeky smile that I couldn’t resist.

“I’m hardly qualified,” I told him.

“That’s a load of bullock. You’ve just completed a high-level photography course with an A+. That’s got to count for something,” Nate told and gently rubbed his thumbs over my cheeks.

“Yes, but that is not like a photo-shoot. I don’t take good photos of people who are looking! It becomes too staged and stiff.”

Nate shook his head. “All I’m saying is that you should call Gleam and ask. I thought you were looking for photographic challenges. And those photos of me at Brighton Beach were pretty amazing.”

I bit my lower lip and started fidgeting with my hands. As usual, Nate was completely right but I still wasn’t sure.

It felt as if my stomach was full of butterflies. I always felt uneasy when I was about to do something that scared me. After a long evening of thinking and running around circles, I had decided to call Gleam and ask about the photo-shoot. The thought that they might already had hired someone both calmed and terrified me.

As it turned out, they hadn’t and they had seemed please that I wanted to take the photos. I knew a few of the Gleam people and they knew that I knew all of the YouTubers pretty well. As soon as I had sent over my diploma from the photography course, they had been convinced.

I still wasn’t. We were in the car on the way to the site and I had insisted that we got there with plenty time to spare since I needed to set everything up before all the guys arrived. Nate hadn’t complained about my odd mood all morning but he simply pulled me into a hug or squeezed my hand.

I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to take good photos or something would go wrong and I would end up wasting everyone’s precious time. I knew that it took a lot of arranging to get all ten YouTubers to be at one place at the same time and I feared that I would disappoint them somehow.

We arrived at the location and I instantly began running around, setting up cameras and checking the lights while Nate settled with a cup of coffee at the table. He knew better than to try and talk to me when I was doing my thing.

Louise was the first to arrive. When she saw me, she firstly looked confused but then broke into a smile.

“Abigail! I had no idea that you would be here,” she said.

A chill went down my spine. I hadn’t considered that the YouTubers wouldn’t know that I was their photographer for the day. I had only told Zoe on the phone the day before and Nate had mentioned it to Joe and Caspar.

“Are you our photographer?” she asked.

I soundlessly nodded. Thankfully, her smile widened and she pulled me into a hug.