Chapter 35: Girl Online Book Launch Party

Nate had been in a better mood ever since he had uploaded his grief video. I knew that he sometimes thought of YouTube as therapeutic. He had a great platform to share stories and ask for support and I knew how much every view, thumbs up and nice comment meant to him.

Life hadn’t slowed down for him though and he seemed busier than ever with tons of meetings. I was having a quite relaxed time, just enjoying running my blog but it still felt rather odd that I didn’t have to get up for anything early in the morning anymore. I considered going back to university in the New Year since my photography hadn’t quite taken off yet.

Today, I had something to look forward to. It was the launch night of Zoe’s book Girl Online and I had been so excited for the book for so long. I had wanted to ask her for an early copy but had restrained myself.

I had only heard her talk about the book and its characters but I was sure that I would love it. It was about a girl running an anonymous blog, falling in love and then being exposed. Sometimes I reminded me of Nate and I’s story. I knew Zoe had been working on it before she ever really met me and I wasn’t like Penny in a lot of senses but at times it felt as if she was my fictional alter ego. I was so excited to read her journey.

I heard my lock turn and Nate entered my sister’s and my flat. I heard her greet him in from the living room. Emma had been bouncing off the walls in excitement of Zoe’s book as well though she never read books. She didn’t have the patience and was a big supporter of Audible.com. Nevertheless I had promised that she could see the book when I got back if I got a copy at the party. We had both pre-ordered them from Amazon as well so hopefully we would have them in our hands shortly.

“You look lovely,” Nate said as he entered the room and went up to hug me from behind.

I was standing in front of Emma’s full-length mirror and I could see our reflection. He was quite a bit taller than me and even with my small wedges the height difference was noticeable. Still, he leaned in and placed his head on my shoulder as his arms squeezed me tight.

“So do you,” I told him. He somehow managed to look good in both in worn-out sweats or smart outfits like the dress shirt and jeans he was wearing now.

I on the other hand could never decide whether I looked good or not and usually ended up asking Emma for advice. I trusted her judgement on fashion more than Nate’s since he would tell me that I looked good in anything.

As if she had sensed my need for her, Emma popped her head into her room.

“You look really nice, Abbey,” she said immediately. I was wearing black leggings and a gold cashmere sweater.

“Now get going and don’t forget to snap me photos at the party!” Emma said and ushered us out of the room.

Nate and I started laughing simultaneously but did as we were told. We jumped in a taxi and drove to Penguin’s headquarters where the party were being held. As always I had made sure that we were early.

Turned out that we were so early that Zoe was still doing press stuff in a different room and guests weren’t allowed up in the party room yet. Nate gave me a ‘I told you so’ look before pulling out his phone.

He had just told me on the way here that I had planned too much time for travelling and we would arrive way to early. I stuck out my tongue at him and gave him an overexcited smile.

“Hey Alfie,” Nate said on the phone. “Yeah, we’re here already. Any chance you can get us in?”

Not five minutes later Alfie greeted us. He pulled Nate into a quick hug and then me. He gave some of the best hugs and I considered him one of my best guy friends. He was so goddamn loyal and supportive that it was impossible not to love that boy.