Chapter 8: Coffee-date

We had been texting and chatting online for 3 days straight. I stayed up late every night and fell asleep with my computer or my phone next to me. I’m a very heavy sleeper and hate to get out of the bed in the morning, but these last few days I had gotten up earlier and earlier. Every time when I woke a good morning text from Nate awaited me on my screen.

I had fallen a bit behind in my classes but it didn’t matter much because I had been so well prepared and had read the syllabus a few weeks in advance anyway. My exercising schedule had gone way up though. I usually only ran about once a week but the last three days I had gone out every day and pressured myself even more. It helped clear my head and the whole time while I ran I replayed our conversations in my head.

But today was different. I had gone to bed late as previously and a good morning text waited on my screen but we had agreed to meet up for a chat and coffee today and I was both terrified and excited. We got along so well when we wrote to each other and I already felt like he was my confidant and that I could trust him. However it was a bit more frightening to meet in person although I think that might have been my idea.

See, he wanted to get my Skype so that we could skype together but me, being utterly shy, didn’t feel comfortable with that but since I really liked him, I offered an alternative. We could meet in person instead. Great idea, doofis, I told myself.

That was much less intimidating. Note the sarcasm.

It didn’t help that my sister was all over the moon either.

“Please let me help you get ready for the date,” she said excitedly as she jumped around the room as if she were 5 years old.

“It’s not a date,” I muttered for what felt like the fifteenth time.

“Fine, but you want to look good don’t you? I’m not saying a total make-over but maybe just put a bit more effort into yourself.”

If I were Medusa my sister would have been turned to stone. I had never liked the idea of dressing up for a guy or hiding behind make-up or uncomfortable clothes.

“Gee, don’t give me the evil eyes. I just wanted to know if you wanted my opinion on an outfit or a little help applying make-up,” Emma said softly and I reminded myself that I needed to be kind to her, she was not trying to bother me, quite the opposite in fact.

“Fine!” I sighed. “But I do the make-up and pick the clothes but you can weigh in with your opinion.”

Since I wasn’t a huge fan of make-up, the only products I used on my face were creams for skin care, a moisturising concealer, lip beam and mascara. I could see from Emma’s look that she wanted to bolt into her room and grab her make-up bag but she controlled herself.

“You have so good skin, Abbey. I need to borrow your creams again, my skin keeps breaking out,” Emma said as she watched me put on concealer under my eyes. I had no spots today at all and usually don’t get them other than the odd one once in a while.

“If you had make-up free days, your skin would feel so much better…” I said.

I magnified my lashes with mascara and put on lip beam. Outfit wise, I chose my favourite jeans, the medium blue skin tight ones, and my sneakers. I had trouble finding a top though. Emma saw my struggles and without a word she ran down the hall and returned with the most amazing sweater I had ever seen. It was ombre with a dark blue upper-part and white at the bottom and the different shades of blue in-between were so pretty.

“When did you get this?” I asked confused. Emma usually paraded around the house when she went on one of her shopping sprees or got clothes home from the model agency.