Chapter 14: Meeting Nate's parents

“Mum, Dad,” he said calmly. “I would like you to meet Abigail, my girlfriend.”

We had just stepped into the house and sat down in the living room without one word being uttered before Nate spoke. I was chewing on the inner bits of my cheek to distract myself from the silence.

Nate’s parents still looked at me as if they were suspecting I might grow an extra head or something. I wasn’t usually one to speak up before being spoken to, but since neither of them seemed to acknowledge Nate’s introduction, I had to do something.

“Pleasant to meet you,” I lied through my teeth. The experience had been far from pleasant. “What a nice home you have.”

That finally seemed to wake up the mum and she started gushing about her interior design. I really didn’t care for design, I could only judge whether I like something or not. I was just happy the conversation finally got started.

“I’ll go check on dinner,” Nate’s father said.

“So, Abigail,” his mum said and I felt like she was spitting out my name. “What do you do? YouTube? Blogging?”

I didn’t understand why she said it with such distaste. Like they were filthy professions. Granted, at first I didn’t really understand how one could make a job out of YouTube but since I had been with Nate, I had gotten the hang of how it worked.

My website, or blog as some called it, had taken even more off since I had started posting more regularly. And now I made money since I could place specifically target ads.

“Actually I’m a student at London University. I study business and communication. Just finished 2nd semester. I also run a photography blog,” I answered.

I felt Nate’s quick glance and his finger tighten slightly on mine.

“Oh, you do! How wonderful! You must be having exams now then! I remember when I was a student. Granted I didn’t go to London University, I studied law but…”

His mother started rambling on about her university experience and I could feel that Nate felt uncomfortable. I tried to read his expression but he wasn’t giving much away. His mother talked all the way to the dinner table where his father finally joined in.

“You study business, say you? That is a wonderful education, just remember to get specialized otherwise you’ll have a problem differing from the pack of graduates.”

Nate still felt cold besides me and I had never known him to stay quiet for this long.

Then it hit me. His parents were snobs. They were both highly educated and while their oldest ran her own business in the form of a café, Nate was only making silly videos on a website. They didn’t understand the big picture of what he did but what was worse, they didn’t even seem to try.

“I’m so glad, Nate has met someone that’s not on that site. I mean those Marcus and Al boys seem nice but…” his mother continued.

“It’s Marcus and AlFIE, mum. You know that. I’ve been best friends with them for nearly two years now,” Nate finally spoke up but not for the sake of himself but to defend his friends against his ignorant parents. He didn’t want them to say one bad word about them even though they were never likely to know that he defended them.

“Don’t be silly, son. I didn’t mean it like that.”

My heart swelled up in my chest because I knew how wholeheartedly he would defend someone he considered a friend. Just yesterday a viewer of his had made a post about how SillyNate had gotten a girlfriend that only wanted him for his fame and I had taken all of my convincing powers to convince him to ignore it.