Chapter 24

Aiden's POV

Julie has been working on getting the custody paper signed by a judge for almost a week now. It's taking longer than it should and I'm starting to get a little worried. Whenever Blake and I ask she says, "We're getting closer." The school year is getting close to winter break and I'm actually excited for Christmas this year. I don't have to worry that my "Christmas gift" will be an all evening beating. I'm still trying to figure out what to get everyone though. I've found a job washing dishes at a café a couple blocks away, and I've decided to dedicate my first paycheck to getting gifts for Julie, Anna, and Blake. They've done so much for me that I want to repay them somehow. So I'm currently sitting on the couch brainstorming ideas while Blake and Anna are at Basketball try-outs. I heard a car door and looked at the clock, and realized that it was too early for anyone to be home yet, but Julie is walking in the door. "Oh hi Aiden. You are home."

"Yeah. Is everything okay? You're home early."

She sighed and slipped off her shoes and coat. "I was called into the court house today. Do you have to work on Saturday?" I shook my head no. "Good. You need to go in and have a court date."

"What? Why?"

"There has been a minor set back."

"What is it?"

"Your mom found out." I felt my heart drop. "She apparently ran into the court house throwing a riot today. So they called me in and the judge says that they need you to come in and gave a statement about your childhood with her."

I took a shaky breath. "Do you think they'll make me go and live with her?"

"Oh honey." She walked over and sat in the chair next to me. "I don't know. I can't give you an answer. But, what I can promise you, is that I am going to fight as hard as I can for that not to happen." I nodded my head in response. "Okay. I'm going to get take out for dinner. Do you want Chinese or Mexican?"

"Definitely Chinese." She smiled in response. "With extra sweet and sour chicken."

She laughed. "Alright. Sounds good." She gave me a kiss on the top of my head and went to the kitchen to order it.

I stretched out on the couch, my mind unable to stray from this up coming weekend. I don't know exactly what it'll be about but there is no way in hell I'm about to go live with her. I checked the time and saw that there's still an hour before Blake gets home. I went back to trying to brainstorm ideas for Christmas gifts. I should ask Blake what I should get Julie and Anna, he knows more about them than I do. Not getting anywhere, I decided to do some drawing instead. Since I draw whatever is currently on my mind, I started drawing a court room. Half of the time I don't even realize what I'm drawing until I'm done with it. Before I knew it Blake was in the living room walking towards the couch. He picked up my legs and sat down placing them across his lap.

"How was practice?" I questioned.

"It felt like forever. The freshmen are absolute jerks this year."

"Oh really?" I sat my sketch book down, turning my full attention to him.

"Yeah. They think they're on top of the world." He rolled his eyes. "They aren't team players at all. They can't even pass the ball to someone else. Just always have to have it, don't they?"

"That sucks."

"Yeah. Anyways. What about you my prince? What were you drawing?" I rotated my sketch book so he could see it. "Is that you on trail?" I shrugged my shoulders. "What's going on?"

"My mom found out about the custody trail." Blake just looked at me, not saying anything. "They want me to go in on Saturday and testify. I guess against her. I don't really know." He looked down at my legs, still not saying anything. "Blake? Say something."