twelve

"So, where do I begin?" I wondered out loud, clapping my hands together over the table.

Luke looked at me, nodding for me to go on. I thought for a second before figuring out what to finally ask him first.

"Well first of all, how have you been?" I asked, starting off with what I wanted to know most. I really just wanted to know how he was doing, but the other noisy part of me wanted to know more about his life. He looked up from his lap, his blue eyes meeting mine, looking hesitant to answer.

"Uh-h I've been alright," he answered, chuckling a little like he was uncomfortable to answer the question.

"You don't seem so sure about that," I spoke back, suddenly seeming uncomfortable about this situation.

"Well, I should be alright." he answered, looking around to see where our drinks were. "How are you doing?" I was surprised he asked, but was glad he sounded like he wanted to have a conversation with me.

"I've been well, you know, lot's going on," I said, as he looked back at me, nodding in agreement. Our drinks came moments later, leaving us left to order. We ordered our food quickly, and were now back to the silence we have started to share every couple of minutes.

"I thought we came here to talk, not sit here in dead silence," Luke mumbled, sounding like he didn't want me to hear what he was saying.

"I'm sorry, it's just weird to be here with you," I say honestly.

"Yeah, I agree with you there," He laughed, which showed off his smile. It was the first time that I had actually seen him smile since I've seen him.

"Okay, so what are you even doing back here?" This was also one of the questions that I was also dying to find out. Why was he even back here and what is he doing back? Hopefully he will tell me honestly why he was.

"Well, it's a long story, but I'm going to shorten it for you. Lot's of shit went down in Australia a few months after I returned, then after a year of deciding on what to do, they sent me back here to live with my mum." He answered, talking in more of a fast pace. He didn't give much details because he gave me the 'short side' of the story, but I was hoping that he would tell me more.

"Are you living with your mum now?"

"Yeah," He shrugged. I know he didn't like his mum very much because of the way that she treated him, but hopefully that was all better. She was a really nice woman, but she didn't focus too much on Luke. She focused more on her profession, and her boyfriend. Kind of like my parents.

"Is she still dating that guy?" I say, feeling bad that I forgot his name. I had previously met him a few times at his house, but didn't know him that well. 

"Yeah, they are engaged now," He said, his face forming into a new sad expression.

"Well that's good right? I remember you saying that you liked him," I questioned, more memories flooding through my mind of our summer.

"Yeah, I'm super happy for them!" Luke said, sarcasm running through his voice.

"Im sorry," I lean in more to the table, and start to lean my arm across the table. Once I realize what I'm trying to do, I move my hands towards my drink. I bring the glass to my lips, and continue to think of more questions to ask Luke.

"It's alright. I'm thinking of moving out soon anyways. I mean, they will probably give me the money anyways since I recently turned 18." Luke answered, sounding a bit more confident in the situation.

Shit, I thought to myself. I forgot that his birthday had just recently passed. I still remember that it's in July, which was only two months ago. For his birthday last summer I took him to the county fair, and I remember every second of it.