seventeen

{ Luke's POV }

"You know this really does get my mind off of everything," I say, blowing a cloud of grey smoke in front of me. I watched as the smoke whirled around in front of me, as it slowly started to disappear. 

"I told ya," Hunter said, turning to face me. We were now sitting in Hunter's room smoking, and occasionally taking ships of alcohol he had. Tonight I finally agreed to listen to Hunter, so I could get my mind off of everything. It was Friday night, and all I wanted to do was relax, and that's exactly what I was doing. It was around 9 o'clock, and I assumed Scarlet was going to be home soon from work. Hunter said earlier that no one was home, so we got to do whatever we wanted. Hunter didn't actually know what was happening in my life, but I'm glad he didn't ask. I assumed he knew something had to have been happening knowing how I wanted to leave everything, but he was the same way. We both had a lot going on, and I was glad both of us felt the same way. For once in a while, I haven't felt so alone. 

I had a lot going on in my life right now, and this was the perfect way to get my mind off of everything. Since I was over 18 already, I could smoke legally, and now I was glad that Hunter had got me hooked on it. I never thought that I would be smoking after what happened with my dad, but here I am. 

I looked over my shoulder to find Hunter rummaging through his dresser drawers again, as he pulled out another flask filled with alcohol. I wanted nothing more to just go grab it from him, and start drinking it, but I just sat here and watched as he took the first sip. 

"Want some?" Hunter asked me, after he took a long sip.

"Yeah," I said, as I nodded my head. I reached out my hand and grabbed the flask out of his hands. I unscrewed the metal top, and brought it up to my lips. I tasted the burning alcohol as I felt it wash down my throat. It was now one of the feelings I have learned to love. 

"You okay?" Hunter asked me, probably noticing the new expression forming on my face from the alcohol. 

"Yeah, I'm good," I told him, taking another drink from the flask. My throat started to burn once again, but I didn't care at all. 

"Oh shit," Hunter said, getting up from his bed. "I think Scarlet's home."

"O-oh," was all I could manage to say. I didn't know what we were going to do, since I know Tanner doesn't want to get caught with all this shit. He says Scarlet's really oblivious to all of this, so I was hoping Hunter knew what to do now that she was home. 

"Come on," Hunter said, beginning to open the door to his room.

"Where are we going?" I asked, not sure on what we are going to do. Knowing Hunter, I never knew what he was planning on doing. I followed Hunter down the hall, after shutting his bedroom door shut. We continued to walk down the hallway in silence until we reached open space by the staircase leading downstairs. In the open space, there was a tv and a couch, kind of like an upstairs living room. We both took a seat, staring at the blank television screen in front of us. I still had no clue what we were doing, but probably just getting out of his room, so Scarlet doesn't catch him. Hunter said he did this a lot here, so I wouldn't be surprised if he knew how to pull this one off. 

"Hunter?" I heard Scarlet's voice say as I heard her footsteps coming up the steps.

"Hey," Hunter turned around, giving her a small wave.

"I didn't think you would be home," She said to him, placing her bag down on the floor next to her feet.

"Luke?" She said again, sounding really surprised. I know Hunter probably hasn't mentioned that I've been friends him, I mean I don't think so since they don't have that good of a relationship anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if she was shocked, or feeling awkward about this situation. I mean, this is her brother, and her ex boyfriend hanging out without her knowing. It's none of Scarlet's buisness that we are friends, and she probably wouldn't even care. It was just overall an awkward position to be in. 

"Hey Scarlet," I smiled, turning around completely to face her. 

"W-what are you doing here?" She asked, taking a few more steps towards the couch we were sitting at.

"Just hanging out with Hunter," I said, looking back towards Hunter that was just staring at the both of us. 

"You guys know each other?" She asked, seeming curious.

"Uhm yeah," Hunter said, before I got the chance to answer her first.

"Oh, I didn't know you guys were friends," She said awkwardly, swinging her bag back over her shoulder like she was getting ready to leave. 

"Yeah, we met towards the beginning of the year, and have been hanging out since," I told her. 

"Oh," She spoke up again. I coud tell she still felt  really awkward in this situation, and I couldn't blame her. Hunter probably found it weird why we were acting so awkward, but I knew he wouldn't ask about it later, which was a good thing. If Scarlet and I weren't even friends, this situation would have been a lot worse. We were finally friends, and actually hanging out again. For once in a long time, I didn't actually hate her. I got the feeling where I wanted to be around her more, and possibly even develope feelings for again. 

Scarlet looked at me with her tired eyes, as she finally made the decision to leave the room. I watched her as she turned the corner, and walked down the hallway leading to her room. I heard the door softly slam, signaling to Hunter that she couldn't hear us anymore.

"See?" Hunter said, while placing his hands in his lap.

"What?" I asked.

"She didn't even go near my room, so we didn't get caught," Hunter said, raising an eyebrow at me. 

"I see you have planned this all out," I said, turning around to face him again.

"I sure have." 

sorry this chapter was a little short but in the next couple of chapters stuff starts to happen :-)