Chapter 2: Friendship

I sat in geometry, talking to James. "You know, I don't have your number."

"Really?"

"yea."

"Gimme your phone."

I raised an eyebrow at him. 

"You can trust me, Meera."

I shrugged, typed in my password and slid the phone over to James. He typed in his contact when Ms. Ardon called him. He said, "Yes?"

"Number 12?"

James looked at me panicked. I smiled and whispered, "Angles 2 and 3."

"Angles 2 and 3!"

"Good job, James."

She went on to ask other students. I snickered and poked him, "Pay attention James."

"Shut up Meera."

I took my phone back, and we resumed the lesson. Today had been a good day so far.

At lunch I asked Sarah and the others, "Can William and James have lunch with us? It gets boring with just us sometimes. Vanessa always goes off with Marcos, and Mina always goes to Christie's table. Plus, our mission seems to be at a stand still."

Sarah shrugged. I texted James to sit with us at lunch. I spent more time talking to them than to my actual best friends.

 I didn't think I'd click with them so easily. They just seemed like the people who understood me. And I could do stupid things with them. Things the girls never did. We planned out pranks and joked around. I loved it. I'd never known what it was like to have a real guy best friend, not since one of my middle school friends had transferred to a different school. 

By the end of lunch, William, James, and I were in a secret group chat. It was a secret exchange chat. if I told the others, they'd be so pissed at me.

I would tell the boys codenames and mission planning involving the. sophomores if they'd tell me their secrets. They rarely spoke to anyone, aside from each other and Lara occasionally. And I wanted to know. I wanted to be someone they trusted and confided in. I wanted to a part of something. And they seemed like the perfect set. 

All my little broken pieces, all the mistakes I'd made in middle school, it seemed like Will and James could fix it all. They seemed like the people who could help me. 

I'd come to Mervone thinking these two brothers from my mandir (I'm Hindu), Vikram and Avinash would help me out. I rarely saw them and they never spoke to me so I found people willing to help me. Willing to protect me and these were strangers. 

Will and James never judged me. They never pushed me to tell them my secrets. My broken pieces. And I had hope that they'd be the glue I needed.