Chapter 5: James?

One day .....

I dropped off my bag at my normal lunch table. Vanessa was making out with her boyfriend Marco. Sarah and I looked at them in disgust. We sat down from them. I told them, "Go find a room you nasty kids."

They looked at me. Marco said, "Shut up Meera."

I glared at him and he and Vanessa left.

I asked Sarah, "Mina?"

"With her other crew."

"KK."

Suddenly, James and Will sat at the table. I smiled and said, "Hey Will."

We nodded at each other. Sarah nudged me and said, "Hey James"

"Hey Sarah." James said.

Everyone talked happily as I sat texting on my phone. The less I had to say to James the better.

I didn't want to notice how that t-shirt made his muscles show, and how if he lifted his hands into the air I could see his abs. I didn't want to notice how his smile and voice made my heart flutter or the way his new haircut only made him hotter.

How did he not notice the thousands of girls fawning over him? He never did. But I noticed.

Every time.

I shook those thoughts out of my head. Sarah whispered, "say something to him."

Vanessa and Marco returned. Vanessa nodded her head between me and James. Even Marco tried to get us to talk. I was pissed. I stood in a huff. I said, "Excuse me, guys."

I heard James call after me. I ignored him and walked away.  

Tears formed in my eyes. I hated when that happened. Whenever I got angry I started to cry. It was stupid.

I walked to these huge windows on the upper floor. I took deep breathes trying to calm down.

James called me softly from behind me. "Meera."

"What James?"

"Why are you so angry at me?!"

"You know why! You didn't help me. You let Lara destroy me. I lost a friend because of you. I always knew you favored her."

"I don't favor her."

"You tell her everything! Even after what happened with William!"

"I don't. I wanted to be able to tell you everything."

I froze. "Bullshit."

"I didn't know if I could trust you yet."

I turned to face him. "Are you fucking kidding me? Even Will told me things! I told you everything! I trusted you. And you knew...you knew about my trust issues."

By now I was stalking closer to him.

"I'm sorry Meera."

"Coward."

"Please can't we be friends?"

"It doesn't matter because you're leaving anyways. I lose two friends."

I broke down. James pulled me into his arms. I felt so safe, and protected. It felt so right. I sobbed and he held me.

I looked up at him. His eyes searched mine. And just as he leaned down, I pulled away. NO!

I said angrily, "I can't wait for you to leave. I mean how could you just let her do that? How could you be such a coward?"

James groaned and pulled me to him. He smashed his lips onto mine. His arms tightened around my waist as my hands flew into his hair. I had only ever imagined this. The feel of his lips on mine. Of his tongue battling mine. The passion and heat was unbearable. I groaned and he growled in response. We pulled back for air.

His forehead rested against mine.

"I don't want you to leave, James."

"I know, Meera but I have to."

I snuggled into his arms holding him as tightly as possible. "Then let's make the most of the next three months."

He smiled down at me, taking my breathe away. "Anything for you."

He kissed me softly. A promise. I knew in that moment, I had fallen completely.

________________

I walked up, breathing heavily. I sobbed for hours. It hurt so much. It felt so real. All I wanted was James back. I wanted my friend back. I didn't care. I know we couldn't last forever, but until he left was good enough.