Chapter 7: Shane?

I sat in Spanish, talking to Shane and a few others who sat around us.

"Shane is beyond ugly guys."

"That's so mean, Meera, "said my friend, Gloria.

"Nah, she's right," Shane agreed.

"But you're a regular kind of ugly."

"Exactly. The girl who dumped me a while back called me a bum ass ugly. I take offense to that. I know I'm normal ugly."

I laughed. This kid was actually stupid. He wasn't ugly at all. 

"yo, Meera."

"yes Shane?"

"Did you see that SpongeBob meme on Insta yesterday?"

"I told you my parents made me delete Insta!"

Oh yea. Well I got something to show you."

He slid me his phone. I scrolled through some dirty SpongeBob memes. Of course he'd have those. I said, "you weirdo." 

I slid the phone back and we went back to the lesson.

Suddenly my phone vibrated.

S- yoooo

M- what

S- im bored

M- stop texting in class

S- ur ugly

M- asshole. pay attention

 I ignored my phone and focused on class. Later that day I was on my way back to class from the bathroom. I saw a guy who attends my temple even though I never spoke to him in school. One of the brothers I'd mentioned before. His name was Vikram. Vikram was supporting Shane. I said, "What the hell?"

"help me." Vikram struggled to say.

I nodded and grabbed Shane's other side. We dragged him into the staircase nearby.

We laid Shane on a step as he groaned.

"What the hell Vikram!?"

"He took Zans again."

"Oh my fucking god!" I slapped the back of Shane's head. He groaned and said slurred, "Meeraaaa whyyyy?"

Shane stood and leaned against me. He hugged me from the side, nuzzling my neck. Vikram looked uncomfortable, "I'll be outside."

I threw him a look of helplessness before he disappeared behind the door.

Shane backed me into a wall. "Meera"

"you're not okay Shane."

"I am." He stood a little straighter and spoke more clearly. "Whenever I take Zans, it increasingly gets worse and then gets better."

"But what are you doing?"

"Shhh"

His lips found mine and I couldn't pull back. I felt entranced. His arms wrapped around my waist and my hans wrapped around his neck. It felt good. 

__________________

I groaned as I sat up in bed. Shit. Now I was truly confused. But for some reason, it didn't make me smile like I had when it was about James. It left a weird feeling in my gut.

I needed to fix this situation with James before I tried to find a boyfriend. I needed to fix my friendships before my relationships. And I don't think my heart will let me be happy unless I fix this. James means something. 

Maybe this was showing me what I could have with Shane and it seemed really nice, but it wasn't going to happen until I figured out the whole James situation. And the fact that none of them were Hindu wasn't helping. In the past when I had real crushes, they were usually on Hindu guys from my temple, as sad as that seems. 

At one point I even liked Vikram, before I realized it wasn't a real crush. It was puppy love. He'd been the first guy who'd spoken to me at temple. He was going to my dream high school etc etc. I'm so glad I'm over it. 

But that's not the point. This is just a big mess and I need to clean it up.