Adrien's Competition Part 8

Marinette felt weird walking beside Adrien with the body guard hovering over them. looked to Adrien to see if his expression betrayed any discomfort but he was just smiling his Adrien smile and looking adorable.

"Well well..." Alya spotted them first "look who's riding in with pretty boy." Alya fell into step beside Marinette.

"Yo!" Nino slipped in on Adrien's other side. "I hope it's cool with you man, but I'm gonna sit in Marinette's throne next to Alya today."

"That's fine," Adrien waves his friend's concern away "I was thinking Marinette should sit with me and my bodyguard anyway." Adrien turned to Marinette "if that's okay with you?"

"Of course." She squeaked "I mean yes, thank you, that would be great."

Adrien was used to Marinette getting flustered around him. He hoped he wasn't making anything worse when he offered her to sit next to him. I'll have to have Chat Noir ask her about it later... she's always so easy going with him.

Adrien pulled Marinette's chair out for her before taking his seat beside her. The gorilla stood by Adrien's desk and Nino sat in the throne made of heart lollipops. Marinette tried to ignore the display behind her and focus on class but it was becoming the weight dragging her down a little bit more each day.

"Marinette..." Adrien placed a hand on her shoulder. Marinette jumped, startled out of her thoughts.

"Sorry!" Adrien snatched his hand back.

"No..." Marinette shook herself "sorry, that was my fault, I totally spaced."

"I should have known better." Adrien offered his best reassuring smile. "with everything going on."

"It's okay." Marinette said "Really, I'm fine."

"Are you though?" Adrien asked. Marinette seemed to be missing something. She was usually so happy and light. Adrien hadn't even noticed it at first but she was getting more weighted down by the day.

Marinette didn't answer right away, suddenly the questions seemed heavier, his eyes weighing on her all concerned and beautiful and sincere. Marinette felt her chest squeeze you're a super hero she told herself trying to get the words out. You can save Paris from super villains... so you can deal with this.

"Marinette..." Adrien repeated when she went quiet. Her eyes turned glassy and she was chewing on her lip. Adrien had never seen her do that before.

"Marinette..." he whispered. Marinette's phone bleeped. She glanced down at it in her hand and saw Ethan's name.

"I have to go." Marinette pushed away from her desk and ran out of the classroom.

"Marinette, wait!" Adrien leapt over the desk and ran after her, the body guard followed. Alya ran after Marinette. Nino opened a lollipop and trailed after his friends just as Madame Bustier walked in.

"Where are you going, sir?" she demanded. Nino pointed down the hall where the gorilla and Adrien stood outside the girls' bathroom.

"Sorry ma'am, friend needs me." he walked passed her and Madame Bustier just shook her head and went in to tend to the rest of the class.

Mariette hid in the girls' bathroom, she looked at her red face and glassy eyes in the mirror, when did her heart start beating so fast? when did it get so hard to breath?

"Marinette." Adrien's voice was followed by a knock "please come out, talk to me."

"Adrien..." Alya's voice sounded next "let me, she's my friend too."