Adrien's Competition Part 14

Marinette's insides trembled as Mr. Agreste entered the room. This was her fault after all, she's almost gotten his son killed and his wife gone too... Marinette didn't even want to think about how angry he must be.

"Adrien." Mr. Agreste's voice demanded attention. Marinette and Alya and Nino stepped away from Adrien's bed. Adrien was reluctant to let Marinette so far away, after everything that happened, he didn't want her to be out of his reach.

"Father." Adrien wasn't sure what kind of reaction his father would have to all of this. It was everything he was afraid would happen to Adrien. Instead of yelling, or blaming Marinette as both she and secretly Adrien had been fearing, he embraced his son.

"Are you okay?" he asked Adrien.

"I'm fine, just a few scratches." Adrien hugged his father back and Marinette limped backward to lean against the wall.

"What's wrong with your ankle?" Mr. Agreste's eyes didn't miss a thing. Adrien looked over and found Marinette favoring her left foot.

"Um..." Marinette looked down, "it didn't hurt before." She said, but then nothing hurt before. The pain had slowly come to her attention as the hours passed as if her body hadn't figured out what happened to it yet.

"Nathalie." Mr. Agreste snapped "get the doctor in here."

"He hurt your ankle too?" Adrien growled, never in his life had he felt so much anger at someone.

"The door closed on it when he pulled me in." Marinette explained "I didn't think anything of it before."

"Geez, Mari, you can barely stand on it." Adrien tried to push the blanket aside and get up to help her but one sharp look from his father made him stop.

The doctor walked in a moment later, of course no one was going to make Gabriel Agreste wait.

"Mr. Agreste." The doctor smiled at the stoic man.

"Why is it no one can seem to do their job until it's demanded of them?" he snapped at the doctor.

"I-I-I'm sorry, Mr. Agreste, was Adrien complaining of something else?"

"Mademoiselle Dupain-Cheng has a bad ankle she's been allowed to walk around on, didn't anyone think to check her over completely, are you now aware of shock?" Mr. Agreste yelled at him.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Agreste." The doctor sputtered, hurrying over to Marinette, he eased her back onto the chair and pulled her leg out. Marinette winced when the doctor prodded at it.

"We'll have to get an X-ray." The doctor muttered to himself.

"Well, look at that, she's been here for hours!" Mr. Agreste yelled "did you make the same mistake with my son?" he demands.

"No, of course not." The doctor stood and tried to maintain some dignity but Mr. Agreste had a way of taking that away.

"well..." Mr. Agreste growled "what are you waiting for, get her X-ray."

"Right away Mr. Agreste." The doctor scampered out and left Marinette in the chair and Adrien kind of glad for his father's power and intimidation factor. Alya smirked at Marinette from afar as if she knew something Marinette didn't.

"Mademoiselle Dupain-Cheng." Mr. Agreste addressed her.

"Yes sir." Marinette drew herself up a little taller.

"it's my understanding that you assaulted Ethan Baldock."

"What!" Alya exclaimed for Marinette "she was getting kidnapped, you can't be serio—" Nino clapped a hand over her mouth, he did not want to see Mr. Agreste go off on his friend.