Adrien's Competition Part 16

Marinette squirmed in her seat beside Alya. Adrien sat on her right and Nino just next to Adrien.

"It's okay, Marinette." Adrien rested his hand on hers.

"This was a really great idea, Adrien." Alya told him holding Marinette's other hand.

"Thanks, Alya." Adrien smiled at her then returned his attention back to Adrien.

"And how did you get Ladybug and Chat Noir to agree to it?" Nino asked.

"Well," Adrien sighed "Chat agreed but Ladybug hasn't answered him back yet, I'm hoping she'll just show up with him."

"I'm sure she will." Marinette said but her nerves were in knots and she felt sick to her stomach. She still hadn't transformed since the whole Ethan thing. She didn't feel like she deserved to wear Ladybug's spots after she had caused such a mess.

The mayor took center stage with the principal, Marinette's parents and none other than Gabriel Behind him.

"Thank you all for coming." Mr. Bourgeois' voice boomed through the microphone. "as you've all probably heard by now there was a very serious incident with two of your classmates and we all thought it was important to bring this to attention so we can stop a similar situation from escalating the way this one did."

Mr. Bourgeois' words did not make Marinette feel better.

"I've got to run to the bathroom." Adrien slipped out and Alya took over comforting Marinette. Marinette knew what excuse she was going to use but a part of knew it wasn't really an excuse.

"I need some air." Marinette started to stand but Alya held onto her.

"It's okay, Marinette, you're safe here." Alya tried to comfort her friend.

"Totally, Marinette." Nino patted her shoulder "no one's getting past use and Chat Noir."

"I really just need some air." Marinette's eyes pleaded with Alya to let her go.

"Alright." Alya let her friend's hand go. "but I'm coming with you."

"No." Marinette said a bit more firmly "I can't be afraid to do things alone anymore, Ethan is gone." He can't get to me she said to herself.

"Are you sure?" Alya asked doubtfully. Marinette nodded and pulled herself up as she walked out of the auditorium. Alya watched her friend trying so hard to get back to the way she was but Alya didn't miss it. There was still an underlying fear.

If I catch that boy outside ever again, he is going to regret ever so much as looking at Marinette Alya internally growled.

Marinette stood inside a stall in the girls' bathroom. she opened her purse and Tikki flew out.

"You're doing the right thing, Marinette." Tikki said.

"I know this is Ladybugs job." Marinette said, "but after everything that's happened... everything I've caused..." she trailed off.

"Now you stop it right there, Marinette." Tikki squeaked firmly. "you didn't do anything wrong."

"But if I just told someone sooner or or‑"

"or what?" Tikki demanded interrupting Marinette. "none of this is your fault, It's Ethan's and I want you to say it right now." Tikki hovered in front of the super hero who was still just a fourteen-year-old girl.

"Say it, Marinette." Tikki lorded again. Marinette took a breath, clutching her purse in her hand.

"This is Ethan's fault." The words were barely a whisper.