c o s m o s

Jeongguk took a deep breath

Jeongguk took a deep breath. Steeling his nerves. Bruxism. Wetting his bottom lip ever so slightly.

For what he was about to do; was dangerous. Very dangerous.

He raised his right hand and (heart strumming loudly against his eardrums) brought it down upon the canvas, stroking the fabric with the brush in an even arc. Blue against white. Perfect.

He breathed a sigh of relief. For this was a sign. A sign that the rest of the painting would in fact, turn out alright.

Gripping the palette in a slightly more relaxed position, he set to adding more arcs, long strokes at first; but inuending into miniscule jots. A jot here. A jot there.

So he continued, until the lonely and unattractive canvas flourished with hues of aqua, belittling (in Jeongguk's humble opinion) most of the other art major's works.

"Fabuleux, Jeongguk-ah!" He had the teacher wrapped around his little finger, and he fucking knew it. "It eez not completed, no?"

Jeongguk laughed lightly. "No, Mademoiselle. I was thinking of adding stars. How would that look?"

"Beautiful, my boy. Marvellous." The woman patted him on the back and walked over to check on someone else.

A tiny smile tugged on Jeongguk's lips, for this was what he loved; art. Art was his one true passion, his angel, the one he was betrothed to. And no one, no one could ever replace that part of his heart, no siree.

And that was why he stayed back after everyone else had filed out, his excuse being that he wanted to work on his painting for another hour or so.

Promising to lock up after, he set back down on the stool and resumed his work, splashing shades of magenta and turquoise along with the blue now. It was immensely satisfying, how all the colours came together, merging in contrasting tints of kaleidoscopic patterns and swirls of the spectrum.

"That looks nice."

Jeongguk's soul nearly left his being at the sudden onslaught of sound right next to his ear. He twitched and stumbled down the seat, breaking his fall at the last moment using the flat of his hand.

"Fuck, what do you-- oh, it's you." He hurriedly stood back up, brushing his hands off (and trying very hard to look as if the fall had been on purpose) (and failing).

Teahyung grinned apologetically. "Sorry for disturbing you. I wanted to knock, but--"

"It's fine." Jeongguk replied curtly.

They stared at each other for a moment; one's gaze flustered; the other's accusing; until Jeongguk broke the silence.

"Can I....help you?"

Taehyung's eyes came back into focus.

"Oh, yeah, um." He scratched the back of his neck in a nervous sort of way. "I wanted to apologize."

Jeongguk blinked.

"For what, exactly?"

He noted the latter's cheeks colouring up rapidly, as he clenched and unclenched his fingers. "For, y'know."

"I don't know." Cocking his head to one side, Jeongguk continued to stare impassively.

"For, shit this is hard, for seeing you naked-- I mean, shirtless." Taehyung quickly corrected himself. "Shirtless, last week."

"Oh." An uncomfortable envelope of silence zipped around them.

Jeongguk knew it was his cue to say something, but what--

"I mean," He began, trying to keep his voice as smooth as possible. "It's cool. Dudes see dudes bare all the time. It's totally fine."

Taehyung's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Really?" He asked in disbelief. "I thought you would flip me off or something."

Jeongguk turned towards the canvas again. "I could still do that, if you like."

The latter laughed; a deep enriching sound that carried around the whole room.

"I'll hold you to that, Jeon Jeongguk." He said, as he backed out of the room, leaving the brunette wondering why he liked that laugh so much.

_______

a/n; imma go slow with this one, so no rushing things