CHAPTER 1 Hey There Good Lookin'!

Daryn Upton crept across the deck, juggling the arm full of condiments she'd just pulled from the refrigerator. Her heeled sandals, as cute as they were, lacked practicality and had the potential to cause her to fall flat on her face. She knew she needed to change into her wedge DKNY ones the first chance she had. They were the chic ones that were easy to walk in.

Daryn was laser-focused on her destination. Her moves towards her husband Courtney were deliberate. Taking note of the sun shining on their recently rebuilt deck, she smiled, mesmerized by how beautifully it turned out.

"Hey babe, aren't you glad we went with the Brazilian walnut for the deck? You see how amazing it looks?"

"Yep, looks good baby."

"Are you patronizing me husband?" Daryn tapped Courtney on his behind.

"Of course not. If you like it, I love it. Really."

They had looked at several wood options when Daryn fell in love with the Brazilian walnut. Her mother recommended it when she mentioned they were looking to have the deck rebuilt. After several estimates, she found herself having to "nudge" Courtney towards the walnut because of the additional cost, even throwing in a couple of teasers she'd found online about the wood's resistant's to weather and termites (the one insect he seemed paranoid about) to get him to buy in. She knew she could be over the top but in the end, she got the deck she wanted.

"You ready for the sirloin patties?" she asked, setting the condiments on the marble patio table. With his chef hat covering his head, Courtney stood in front of his newly purchased elaborate grill— her compromise for the deck— jovially bobbing his head to the music in his earbud. They were wearing the same aprons with dancing pigs on the front, inscribed with the words, "Pigs need love too."

"Just about...you can bring them out,"

"Hey, I just thought about it...where the hell is Dirk? He was supposed to be over here helping out an hour ago," Courtney said, narrowing his eyes.

"You know how your friend is. I'm sure he's on his way. Need anything else from the kitchen?"

"Nah, I'm good," he answered, with a quick peek over his shoulder.

"Hmm...lookin' hot in those sandals, girl," he announced. Taking a second look, his eyebrow raised. She responded right away, shooting him a suggestive smile and a wink. Oh well, practical or not, the sandals were staying