CHAPTER 28 Faking the Funk

"You still here, baby? I thought you'd be long gone by now." Daryn cringed when she walked into the kitchen and discovered Courtney changing the water filter on the faucet. The blinking red light had been flashing for at least a week, and Daryn was sure it was about to drive him insane. Although she would have typically been pleased to find her hubby forgoing his beloved racquetball, she'd had every intention of just coming down to commandeer some pain relievers and a cup of coffee and going right back to bed.

Her pounding headache confirmed what she tried to deny when she returned home last night. She'd had one glass too many. What she didn't want was for Courtney to know, especially after he called and drilled her over the phone, and she insisted she was fine. Still, she had no desire to play pretend. She felt like hell. She was trying to figure out how her tolerance got so low. Maybe her pours were heavier than usual. She hadn't paid that much attention.

Courtney wandered over to several of the cabinets checking every knob. Daryn eased by him, delighted he had already made coffee. There is a God, and he loves me.

"Yeah." He'd taken so long to respond, Daryn didn't recall what she'd asked him.

"Natalie's out of town, so Kurt is on kiddie transport this morning. Piano lessons, football, and a whole host of other things he mentioned, but by then I'd tuned him out. I started feeling overwhelmed just listening to his laundry list of daddy duties. Better him than me."

Finally turning to face her, Daryn could see Courtney watching her out of the corner of her eye, likely noticing her moving in slow motion.

"Anyway, party animal...you guys have fun last night?"

"We did. We had a good time," Daryn answered, pouring her coffee. She placed the coffee pot back on its base and carefully took a sip. Nice and strong, just like Courtney always made it. Most often, she'd add a little hot water to thin it out, but not today. Strong was good.

She gazed out of the window and saw the deck draped in a layer of leaves. Daryn thought of their last big brew-ha-ha and wondered where the time had gone. Her mind fell on Lisa and Dirk and how, for the most part, they seemed happy. She'd first thought of Lisa as some desperate airhead, unwilling to admit the obvious. But after hanging out with her at the girl's get together, she came to realize how much more complicated things were between her and Dirk. Daryn had enjoyed their time together just hanging out on candy distribution. She'd gained a new-found respect for Lisa, particularly after she bared her soul.

"So, did Lisa make it by?" Courtney seemed to be reading her mind, which likely prompted her knee-jerk response.

"Yes, she did, and you mark my words, Courtney: Dirk is going to fool around and lose that girl!"

"Really? What makes you say that?" he asked, his tone even.

Daryn turned around to find Courtney eyes staring right at her. Realizing there was no way to back out of her self-made jam, she placed her coffee mug down firmly on the counter.

"Courtney, you can't say anything, though, okay? We all talked about things in a contained environment, and although not expressly discussed, in the strictest of confidence the conversation would remain confidential. She poured out her heart, and I really shouldn't have even mentioned it. So seriously, please don't go back saying anything to Dirk. Okay?"

"Geez, Dee! Okay! What is she plannin' to put a hit on him? Dang!"

Daryn then realized how frantic she must have sounded and had to laugh.

"No, but she did divulge she's thinking about moving out west and made it clear she had no intention of carrying any quote-unquote 'baggage' with her."

"Wow...she does sound about fed up." Daryn watched him closely as he went and sat at the kitchen table in front of his laptop. Courtney's reaction suggested her words were irrelevant, coming across like he was pretty much disinterested in what she'd said, but Daryn knew he was probably already trying to figure out a way to give Dirk the heads up without breaching her confidence.

To the layperson, his dismissive response would have provided the reassurance necessary to drop the subject and move along. Daryn, however, was well versed in reading people and caught the subtle nuances the average person may have missed.

"I see those wheels spinning, Courtney. I mean it. You cannot say anything. Besides, if he hasn't gotten it right by now he probably never will." Leaning over, she slid her hand across the African Iroko island countertop area where the cup had been sitting and released a loud sigh.

"Okay, baby. I won't repeat anything you've shared." Courtney approached Daryn and placed his hand on her back, gently making small circles. Again and again, he continued the motion, stopping just long enough to take a look at his watch.

"I gotta run a few errands. Wanna try to meet up for a late lunch?"

"Sure. What did you have in mind?" Daryn tried perking up but was still struggling.

"I don't know. I'll give you a call in an hour or so. In the meantime, how about you take a few Tylenol and lay back down."

"What?" She tried recalling if she'd said anything to him about not feeling well.

"I'm just saying a few extra hours of sleep, and a little pain medicine should help with the hangover."

"I never said anything about having a hangover"

"Take a few Tylenol and lay back down, Daryn."

With a quick swat on her butt, Courtney headed out of the kitchen appearing to possess all the assurance in the world that his wife had overdone it. Daryn chose not to bother responding to his "assumption." At least he hadn't given her a hard time. Pulling the Tylenol from the Powder Room medicine cabinet, she laughed to herself.

"So much for faking the funk."