CHAPTER 26 Breakfast at Tiffany's

Exhausted, Daryn rolled over and could tell right away it was early. She took a quick peek at the digital alarm clock. It was 6:45. She lay on her stomach, hands underneath her chin, watching her husband sleeping soundly. It was the only day he allowed himself to sleep in until he left for the gym. Normally, she slept in with him unless she had something pressing. It was then that they would shut down and engage in some nesting time. Most often they would make love, and then he would make pancakes; about the only thing he could cook. She would make something he considered decadent like frittatas, and they would read the paper together. She knew it would not happen today. Things had been "funky" between the two of them, and it was time for desperate measures.

Daryn eased out of bed and into the bathroom for a quick shower. Before heading downstairs, she peeked in on Courtney to find him still sleeping soundly, having rolled onto his stomach.

She started a pot of coffee the moment she walked into the kitchen. A necessity to get energized. Then she went to it, working feverishly, preparing all of Courtney's favorites. His Belgian waffles with strawberries and real whipped cream toppings, the really thick bacon he loved so much, spinach and cheese eggs, the whole shebang. She had even stopped and picked up a pound of gourmet coffee from the nearby emporium a few days prior. Her husband was a sucker for good coffee and even more so, good food.

Daryn was determined to get back in his good graces. She had allowed their silly little squabble to linger much too long, and it was disturbing their oneness. Oh sure, civility was a must, and it was there, but she missed the genuine closeness; the silly moments they would share when they were on good terms. And he hadn't initiated intimacy, probably to punish her, or so she assumed.

"Morning," Courtney said, his inflection dry.

"Hey, bae. How did you sleep?"

Courtney sat at the table without responding and opened the newspaper Daryn had gone out and gotten off the porch for once. He had gone directly to the financial section. Mr. Conscientious always kept his finger on the pulse. Daryn made his plate and after heating up the maple syrup in the microwave, placed it in front of him.

"Thank you," Courtney offered, his tone unchanged.

"Baby, just how long do you plan to stay angry with your wife?" Daryn inquired with a playful tone. She leaned over and wrapped her arms around Courtney's neck.

"Who said I was angry? I'm not angry," he said, all the while purposely avoiding eye contact.

"Come on, Courtney." Daryn released his neck and proceeded to make herself a plate of food.

"You've been indifferent towards me this entire week. Be honest, you're still upset with me about my little shopping trip."

"First of all, again, I wouldn't refer to seven hundred dollars as little. Secondly, your intent to mislead me about the dollar amount and your reaction to our exchange about your shopping trip, resulted in what I would more accurately describe as frustration."

"Okay, Courtney. I'm sorry, baby. I admit, my response may have been a bit curt and only made matters worse, okay? I realize you're just trying to do the right thing to secure our future. I get it now."

Oh, now you get it, Courtney thought, taking a bite of his favorite bacon without uttering so much as a word. Sitting there eating, his mind wandered to a quote from Pulp Fiction, one of their favorite movies. Bacon tastes good. He and Daryn would joke about it whenever she'd go to the butcher shop and picked up the really good bacon. But he couldn't bring himself to quote it. She was right. He was pissed at her. The shopping spree was indicative of just how flawed Daryn's rationale was when it came to spending. There was a much bigger issue than she could bring herself to admit. He would not put himself in the position he was forced to live in as a child. It was a lesson he'd learned well.

Daryn sat silent, with a plate of food in front of her. Courtney reached for the syrup and took a glimpse in her direction. She was sitting back in the chair with her arms folded, staring blankly at the plate of untouched food before her. He inconspicuously watched her, waiting to see just how long it would take her to avert her eyes. He was pretty sure she was gassing him up with the old "poor me" bull.

"You aren't eating?" He looked away and then back at Daryn whose eyes remained fixated on her plate.

"I'm not especially hungry. I did this more for you."

They sat in silence for over ten minutes. As frustrated as he was with her, she was pulling at his heartstrings with her downtrodden exhibition of sorts. Between the incredible breakfast and the dejected gaze, he figured he'd taught her a lesson and given her enough of a hard time. He knew that getting over things quickly was the best way to handle snags in any marriage and although he felt like he could have dragged it out for at least the rest of the day, he relented.

"Daryn?" Hands resting in her lap, Daryn peeked up at Courtney. Watching her expression, he gave her their favorite movie quote.

"Bacon tastes good."

She jumped up and in one fell swoop rushed over to him, throwing her arms around his neck. This time, Courtney reciprocated, holding on to her arms and hugging her back.

"Does this mean you're not 'frustrated' with me anymore?" she asked, holding him tightly around the neck.

"Yeah, I'm over it, Dee...really. I just want us to be partners, working on the same team, towards the same goals."

"Me too." She provided a quick cluster of kisses over his face and then a longer one on his lips. "You still love me?"

"You know I love you. Partners, right?" Courtney turned his head around, this time connecting with her eyes.

"Absolutely, baby."