CHAPTER 14 Intervention

Daryn stepped outside her office building and met the painfully whipping Chicago wind. It was easily ten degrees cooler than when she left the house that morning. The cold air provided a sharp reminder for her: pay closer attention to the weather channel in the morning and worry less about coordinating outerwear with your outfit. As cold natured as she was, it should have been a no-brainer.

She found the clasp of her collarless sweater jacket and fastened it, realizing at once that it did very little to defend against the chill. She grasped the collar together and picked up her pace, moving towards the parking structure. She was thankful for the relief the garage provided when she stepped inside. Usually, she would take the stairs but opted for the elevator this time in an attempt to escape the cold.

Her teeth chattered as she watched the light on the elevator stalled on the fifth level.

"Come on," Daryn said, pushing the elevator button several times in a row. Moments later, the door opened, and she slid in. Leaning against the wall, Daryn released a small sigh. She glanced at her phone just in time to see an email from her director pop up on her screen. She had just left out of a three-hour strategic planning meeting and really had no intention of doing any work from home.

"Not tonight. Sorry, Gillian." Daryn looked up from her phone and noticed a Chicago Bulls poster on the elevator wall and thought of Lisa. It was at least the third time she had crossed her mind in the last few days. She hadn't dared to ask Courtney about the situation since she had made such a stink about their last "Dirk and Lisa" conversation.

Daryn's started her car and the Bluetooth connected automatically.

"Call Tangie," she commanded, thinking she may have heard from her. By the time she'd reached the parking structure exit, she had Tangie on the phone, who admitted she too had been thinking about Lisa.

"I'm not sure what's going on with my friend, Daryn. She has changed so much since high school. I mean, cheer team captain, dancer extraordinaire, track star and had all the guys chasing after her." Tangie's description of Lisa's personality in high school only made it harder for Daryn to wrap her mind around her patience with Dirk.

"Wow. At this point, I'm intrigued to see just how much shit –- oops, sorry, Tang; please excuse my French," Daryn said, feeling self-conscious. Tangie and her husband Jamie were devout Christians. Not that Daryn didn't grow up Episcopalian and attended worship services on a relatively consistent basis, but with Jamie studying to be a minister, Daryn was concerned she might offend Tangie

"Oh, you're fine. Don't worry about it." Both ladies fell silent, lost in their own thoughts about the matter.

"I think I should maybe reach out to her... kinda like a welfare check," Tangie said, voice peaking at the end of her words.

"You know, I thought about making that suggestion, but I didn't know how you'd feel about it."

"I don't mind calling. I just don't wanna come across like I'm trying to pry, you know?"

"Right, but you guys seem pretty close. I don't think she would see it that way. I mean, I would, but I don't really know her like that. I met her through Courtney and Dirk, and you know how we ladies can be when we feel like someone is getting in our business."

"Right, let me pray about it." Tangie released a small sigh. "I'm worried she may be offended since I found out through the grapevine, as they say."

Not an hour later, Daryn had Tangie back on the phone.

"Hey, I just got a call from Courtney on the way out of the office. He's meeting up with Dirk on his way home, I'm assuming to talk about what happened. Might be a good time to call Lisa..."

"Hmm...you know what, I'll give her a call. Worst case, she'll tell me she doesn't want to talk about it. Either way, I'll let you know how it goes."

"Okay, girl! Godspeed."