CHAPTER 37 Anything But That

Daryn stood at the coffee station outside of the conference room, concocting her own special blend of Java; half regular, half decaf, and about a teaspoon of cream, no sweetener. Her thoughts wandered to Courtney. Now with the presentation behind her, her mind was clear, and she realized how much she missed him.

"So, what happened to you?" Gabby asked, startling Daryn. She could hear the prevalent tone of irritation in Gabby's voice and resisted the urge to return the sentiment.

"Good morning, Gabby. I'm fine and yourself?" Daryn continued making her coffee without turning around giving her attitude back, just a little.

"Oh... my apologies, Mrs. Upton. How are you this morning, Ma'am? We missed you at dinner last night. Was everything okay?" Daryn chuckled, rolling her eyes.

"Wow... we're going there now, Gabby?" Daryn turned around to find her assistant's bottom lip poked out and arms folded. Damn. She had forgotten how sensitive Gabby could be. Time for damage control.

"Gabby, you have to know I wouldn't intentionally bail on you. I was exhausted last night. Don't take it personally, okay? And pu-lease don't get all subordinate on me, Gabs. We've never had that kind of relationship. Even before we became so close."

Gabby's frown slowly dissipated and her arms dropped to her side.

"You're right. I just ended up being the third wheel and was pretty much left out of the majority of the conversations since the other ladies' work in the same department. So yeah, it would have been nice to have you there to chat with."

"Aww, I'm sorry, Gabs. I'll make it up to you. I promise. Okay? Hug please."

Gabby obliged, laughing softly. Thank goodness she was over it. Daryn had no desire to spend the rest of the morning trying to pacify Gabby.

"So, what's up for tonight?" Daryn picked up her coffee cup and saucer, taking a small sip. Gabby shrugged, watching the area grow busy with assembling colleagues.

"We'd better get in here so we can get a decent seat. Oh! You know what, I just thought about it. Come go out with me tonight for this presentation. They're giving every attendee a three night's stay at this very resort," she said, motioning to the floor. "And a few other incentives too, just for showing up."

Before Daryn could respond, a younger man who Daryn thought looked vaguely familiar, approached them.

"Good morning, ladies. Nice job on the presentation, Daryn. Well done."

"Oh, well, thank you. I appreciate that." Daryn's eyes followed him as he walked away. She struggled to recall where she knew him from. Did he work in the legal department on the second floor?

Gabby averted her eyes in his direction. "Who was that?"

"You know what...I'm not entirely sure. I think he works in corps counsel."

"Yeah, okay. He was all in your face. Don't make me have to get Courtney on the phone. You know I have his number on speed dial, and I have no problem letting him know some hot attorney is down here eyeballing his wife." Gabby chuckled, tickled by her own threat. "Anyway, you're going with me tonight, right?"

"You do realize that this is a timeshare presentation, right, Gabby?"

"No, it's not, Daryn. It's a vacation club, and even if it were, I'm just trying to get the free weekend at the resort."

"Please don't subject me to some wannabe timeshare presentation Gabby. Seriously, anything else. I'll spring for dinner. I'll cover —"

"Daryn, you promised." For a second, Daryn wondered if Gabby's sad, solemn expression was even genuine.

"Fine Gabby. What time?" Daryn relented.

"Yaaay! It's from 6:30 until 8:30, they promised," she exclaimed as if that somehow made it better.

"Really! Dead smack in the middle of my last night here? Yeah, after this venture, we are totally squared, girl!

"Deal!" Gabby said, extending her hand to shake.