CHAPTER 34 Upgrade

It was three hours after landing in Maui before Daryn reached her hotel room. After providing the bellman a hefty tip to show her genuine appreciation for his kind and attentive manner, she slipped off her shoes and lay across the bed. She was spent and wondered how she would ever pull it together in the next hour to get to the conference's first plenary session. Although considered informal, it was still a professional setting and her attendance was required.

She remained in awe, feeling picked on when out of nearly thirty employees traveling in their group, she happened to be the one person whose luggage came up missing. She had to take at least some of the blame when in her haste she carelessly scribbled only her initials on her luggage tag. Still, she was paged on three separate occasions in the airport to come and identify her luggage only to discover the bags weren't hers. She was about ready to go berserk.

Daryn resolved to go and have a glass of wine with Gabby to try to ease the mounting tension. Gabby had graciously offered to stay with Daryn even after being prompted to go and get settled into her room. Daryn didn't present like she cared but was glad Gabby hadn't taken her up on her offer.

"Gabby, I swear I'm going to lose it if these people do not locate my luggage!" Daryn paused, waiting for the bartender to place her cabernet down on the cocktail napkin. She caught a glimpse of the label and could see it was overpriced and cheap wine. Whatever. It would have to do.

"Between the twelve hours on the plane and the jet lag... this is starting to feel like a cruel joke!" Daryn whispered through clenched teeth.

"What I don't get is how we all travel together on the same plane, get off together, and your stuff comes up missing. I bet one of those baggage handlers messed up at O'Hare."

"I don't know what this is about..." Checking her watch, Daryn's eyes widened.

"...but we only have about two hours before our initial session, and we still need to shower and get dressed."

Not ten minutes later, Daryn was summoned back to a small office housing a desk and a chair made from manufactured wood and piles of lost luggage. To her sheer and utter delight, they were hers. Her three emerald green Samsonite bags. Courtney had insisted that she was over packing. She looked at the three suitcases sitting on the floor and thought about the amount of time and effort it had taken to locate them. She might have opted for a carry on if she were given a do-over.

"Yes! This is my set." She was about ready to kiss the agent. "Thank you so much."

"No, thank you, madam, for your patience. On behalf of the Kapalua West Maui Airport, we want to extend our sincerest apology for your inconvenience. If you'd allow us to, we would like to provide you with an auto transporter to get you to your hotel, and a free upgrade to first class on your return flight. We hope this provides some level of relief for your inconvenience."

"Most assuredly it does. Thank you." Daryn was initially, only half listening as she gathered her bags, but he soon got her full attention when he offered the free upgrade.

"Leave those, Madam. We have someone coming to take them to the car transporter. Again, thank you for flying with us today. I hope the rest of your day goes well."

"You as well." Gabby and Daryn's eyes connected no sooner than leaving the office. Both were thinking the same thing: it almost seemed worth the inconvenience, particularly with the free upgrade. Courtney had discouraged her from upgrading to first class, suggesting she may come off as snotty or offensive to those in her party who couldn't afford it. Now she would have an excuse.

"I can't believe they hooked you up like that! Hell, now I wish they had lost my luggage!" Gabby said, shaking her head.