CHAPTER 4 Awkward

Lisa watched Daryn dress the long marble rectangle table, mosaic pattern down the center. The tableware, down to the napkin rings, matched perfectly. It looked like something straight out of a Pottery Barn store display. Lisa had to give it to Daryn, she had impeccable taste. Although she and Courtney had been married for close to five years, Lisa and Daryn never really "clicked" as she would describe it to Dirk.

"She definitely carries a certain air, at the least. And sometimes she seems downright snobbish." Lisa commented to Dirk after a dinner out with Courtney and Daryn. "She's all engaging in this long drawn out conversation with the server about the Malbec wine. I swear she was showing off."

Dirk had defended her, insisting it was probably not her fault; she had grown up privileged. Her father was a second-generation medical doctor, her mother a college professor. They had provided the best for Daryn, and she just had a certain way about herself.

Lisa left it there, but she still believed Daryn was haughty. Lisa had girlfriends from similar backgrounds, and although they too carried themselves differently, it wasn't necessarily snobbish or arrogant. Like the fact that Daryn would run around preparing for a barbecue in-white linen shorts, what appeared to be a linen t-shirt and high-heeled sandals. Her clothes were an accident waiting to happen. If it weren't for Dirk and Courtney being fraternity brothers, Lisa knew she would have never crossed paths with Daryn, and if she had, it would have been nothing more than a cordial exchange.

"How are things going with the Chicago Bulls? You're still the choreographer for the Luvabulls?"

"Yeah, it's going well," Lisa answered, trying not to be unreasonable and entertain the idea that Daryn was somehow taking a shot at her.

"And my dance classes are packed. I currently have a waiting list of ten little eight-year-old girls, so things are going well."

"Oh, good."

"I have been thinking about diversifying though."

"Really? How so?" Daryn asked, glancing over at Lisa.

"Well, I have a girlfriend I went to grad school with who works out west in media and digital production and she has been gently pressuring me to join her team. I would be working on the dance and theater side, which is really up my alley. Of course, it would mean relocating and I'm not entirely sure I want to."

Nodding, Daryn continued setting the table. Lisa sensed from Daryn's expression when she mentioned being in grad school that she may not have known of her postgraduate degree.

"I promised her I would come out to meet with some of her people, but honestly, I love living here in Chicago. Plus, I really don't think Dirk would be too interested in moving." Lisa said, shrugging

"Yeah, I understand. That's a pretty huge step," Daryn responded, all the while trying to wrap her mind around the idea of Lisa actually taking Dirk's feelings into account.

The brother had yet to marry or even propose to her and with Lisa's connections it sounded like it had the potential to lead to something. Daryn wondered if she really thought staying with this guy was best for her. Lisa could use a reality check. Hello. You're in a dead-end relationship.

"Hey, ladies," a voice rang softly, interrupting Daryn's thoughts. It was Tangie walking towards them carrying her sleeping daughter, Cydni, over her shoulder.

Daryn met Tangie at Courtney's company's picnic not long after she and Courtney became engaged. Tangie, a few years older, welcomed Daryn and made it a point to spend time introducing her to everyone, after Courtney up and left her to go play in some volleyball rivalry against another department.

"There she is!" Lisa announced in a loud whisper. Lisa approached Tangie and gently stroked Cydni's back. She appreciated the break from the awkward exchange with Daryn.

"Hey, Tangie girl," Lisa said, giving her a quick hug on one side, trying not to disturb Cydni.

"Girl, I feel like I haven't seen you in ages, Lisa. You look hot, girl!" Tangie said, offering Lisa a small wink.

"Thank you," Lisa said, carrying out a short curtsey.

Daryn approached, giving Tangie a hug and a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Tangie, she's beautiful. She's grown so much since I saw her at the beginning of spring. She's, like what, eight months?"

"Yes, almost nine and quite the handful. I'm sure the way she's pulling up on the tables, she'll be walking before she's a year old."

"Look at you, Daryn! Looking fabulous. Can always count on you to be dressed to the nine, even at a Labor Day barbecue."

Daryn brushed Tangie's comments off.

"Easy to do when you don't have a nine-month-old to tend to. You're the real diva."

Lisa listened to Daryn and Tangie's chatting and didn't notice any snobbish air from Daryn. As a matter of fact, although their conversation was mostly surface, Tangie appeared completely comfortable talking to Daryn. Maybe it was her own hang-ups or insecurities. Or maybe it was just that they had a different relationship. Who knew? Lisa couldn't decide.

Heading towards the house, Daryn stopped and inspected the knobs on the grill.

"How about some wine, ladies?" Daryn asked, playfully snatching Lisa's bottle off the table.

"Sure," Lisa replied, turning towards Tangie.

"Hmm...I better not," Tangie said, bouncing Cydni in her arms.

They discovered the men in the kitchen, huddled in front of the small television mounted on the wall. As usual, they were talking about sports. Daryn set the bottle of wine on the counter and opened the kitchen drawer, looking for a corkscrew. Without missing a beat, Courtney picked up the bottle and held his hand out, while Daryn rummaged through the drawer. When she located it, she looked up and discovered the wine no longer in front of her. Momentarily confused, her eyes darted from left to right, then noticed Courtney with the bottle, his hand extended. He was still somehow completely engaged in his discussion.

"Oh, thank you, baby," she said, passing Courtney the corkscrew. Without making eye contact, he opened the bottle and slid it back over to her.

"Kisses please," Daryn demanded, leaning over to Courtney. Finally turning to make eye contact, he obliged.

"You're welcome, baby," Courtney said, chiming right back into his discussion. Must be nice, Lisa couldn't help but think.