CHAPTER 31 Caught Up

"Girl, did I tell you how perturbed my husband was with me? I mean, silent treatment and all, Gabbie." Daryn said, masterfully using her chopsticks to grasp a piece of her orange chicken, leaning in close as if she was trying to be discreet.

"You finally figured out a way to irritate that near perfect man? Only you could have pulled that one off, boss."

"I'm serious, Gabby. I really had to work hard to get back into his good graces. I made this huge gourmet breakfast, had to sit there humbly sulking. I mean, like pull out all the stops. Anyway, I'm just glad it's over. You know I hate tension. I'm just not good with stuff like that, you know?" Daryn was at her favorite Thai restaurant treating Gabrielle, her administrative assistant, to lunch.

Gabby, always Courtney's biggest fan, was quick to get on her case whenever she rubbed Courtney the wrong way.

"So anyway, I was hoping he could take some time off and go with me to Hawaii for this conference, but they have some new account, and he's the lead on it. There went our free romantic getaway. Going to Hawaii with my husband on someone else's dime would have been splendid."

"I'm just psyched you somehow managed to get me on the list to go. I still don't know how you pulled that one off."

"You're invaluable Gabby. I just told them I really needed your assistance, especially since I'll be presenting. And I'm sure we'll have to do some work via satellite. I just really wish Courtney could come too. I suppose that would be like all the stars lining up perfectly. Anyway, you about ready?"

Daryn and Gabby were walking down Michigan Avenue heading back towards the office when Daryn spotted a pair of pumps in the display window at Bloomingdale's. They were the exact color she had been searching for to go with one of the new suits from her shopping spree, or so Courtney would have called it. The shoes were perfect, and it would give her another ensemble to take for the conference.

"Hey, Gabby, let me take a look at these really quick. I've been looking for some shoes that exact color. Aren't they cute?"

Not awaiting a response, she moved swiftly towards the door, Gabby right behind her. Making a beeline towards the shoes, Daryn was nearly besieged by the sales rep.

"Hello, ladies, just to let you know we have a sale going on right now. Buy two pairs, get 50% off the third pair. The sale ends today, so be sure to take full advantage."

"Buy two, get one for 50% off?" Gabby whispered towards Daryn, keeping an eye on the sales rep as she walked away.

"Whatever happened to buy one get one free? That's the deal I'm looking for."

Daryn laughed, "Gabby, you are too funny. But seriously, some of these are exquisite," Daryn mumbled to herself as she picked up a few pairs to examine.

Twenty minutes later and several warnings from Gabby not to get caught up, Daryn found herself at the cash register once again taken aback.

"I told you not to get caught up," Gabby shot at Daryn, arms folded looking in the other direction. Her total was close to five hundred dollars, and she knew her husband would be about ready to kick her out of the house.

"I'll probably have to put a few back..." Daryn hesitantly muttered to herself. She picked up several pairs, trying to determine which ones she could sacrifice. In her mind, none. She had already chosen an outfit or two for every pair.

"Ma'am, just to let you know, you can save an additional 30% today by opening up a line of credit with us. As a matter of fact, the 30% is good throughout the store for the entire day," the sales associate offered patiently.

"What's the interest rate?"

"It's the standard department store ma'am, 26%. But you always have the option of paying the balance before the end of the billing cycle and avoiding the finance charge altogether."

"Hmm, okay...what do you need from me?"

"Just your license, ma'am, and you can complete this short application. I'll have you on your way in five minutes." Daryn handed over her driver's license with reservation. She turned to Gabby, who stood there, mouth wide open, stunned by her boss' actions.

"What?" Daryn asked, innocently shrugging her off. She pulled a pen from her Gucci handbag.

"You know what," Gabby whispered as she watched the sales associate swipe Daryn's license.

"Didn't we just have a conversation about this over lunch? Now, how would you feel if Courtney just blew you off like that?"

"I'm not blowing him off, Gabs. I need shoes to go along with my clothes. I'll pay it off over the next month. He doesn't need to know. No harm, no foul."

"If you say so...I just hope she hurries up because we are grossly late coming back from lunch."

"Gabby, chill out. Did you forget we're on a business lunch? Stop worrying. We're good."

Just then the associate came back and handed Daryn her license.

"You are all set, ma'am. Just to let you know, you saved close to a hundred and fifty dollars today with the sale and discount from your new line of credit." She passed Daryn her license and a paper card attached to her receipt. "Here is your receipt and temporary card. Your actual card will come in the mail in the next few weeks. I'll bag this right up and get you on your way."

The sales associate quickly bagged Daryn's shoes, again making mention of the discount saving.

"Remember, you have 30% off the entire day, so don't forget to take full advantage."

There was that full advantage urging again. Daryn knew she had done enough damage for the day, as tempting as it was to look around. Her impulse shopping excursion was over.