chapter 4 | half alive

"if it didnt kill me
then I'm half alive."

"something's gotta give- camila cabello"

VENUS

"VENUS," FOUR affirmed, nodding his head. He scanned my face before glancing away. "Nice to meet you, too."

He turned, and yelled into the darkness, "Venus! First jumper!" before someone took my arm and led me away. I adjusted to the darkness in enough time to see crowds of Dauntless looking at me and cheering my name, before I heard a throaty scream and someone landed on the net. 

It was a male with black hair, wearing Erudite clothing. Four pulled him out and just above the chattering of the Dauntless, I heard him announce his name. 

"I'm Rhett." His eyes scanned the darkness and landed on me, and I narrowed my eyes. His stare was fierce and dangerous like he was angry at something he couldn't express. I continued to glare in his direction before someone else landed on the net, again and again, and again.

***

"Dauntless-borns go with Azealia, transfers stay with me."

The Dauntless-borns broke away from the group of transfers and I finally realized how small we were. I managed to count the number of transfers with my eyes - there was about 11, including me. Three Candor, three Erudite, three Amity and two Abnegation; that was me and Tris.

"My name is Four, which you know already. I usually work in the control room, but for now, I'll be your instructor." Four announced. "Your training will also be supervised by Eric."

I glance around, trying to see the man from the roof but he isn't around anymore. Four speaks again.

"I'll take you to the Pit for a tour, and then I'll show you the dorms, where you'll be staying-"

"The Pit?" A Candor twirled her short blonde hair around her fingertips. "Bit of a shit-"

"Do you have a problem with it, smartass? " Four snapped, taking the Candor back. "What's your name?"

The Candor stuttered, her eyes wide. "B-Brooke-"

"Alright, Brooke,  you better keep your mouth shut from now on, or there will be concequences." Four told the startled Candor, who nodded quickly.
I heard a tut from behind me before someone shoved into my shoulder to get past me. I wouldn't normally yelp in pain, but I do. It brought a ton of attention towards me that I didn't want, and the man that had shoved into me turned, his piercing eyes finding mine. Eric.
His eyes scanned my body until they landed on my side.  I opened my mouth to tell him I was fine, but before I did, I glanced down to see one side of my grey dress spotted with dark blood. Emily glanced across at me, covering her mouth with her hands when she saw the blood. A girl with light freckles across her cheeks let out a splitting scream but I just stared it, as if telling it to go away.
"Stiff hurt herself jumping from the train, didn't she?" Eric grunted. I didn't have time to answer and I didn't want to answer. The truth was, Marcus threw something at me when I decided to argue back with him the day after my brother left. I will never forget that day, and it still comes back to haunt me - even now, when the scar it caused reopens. 

Eric reached me in less than two seconds, his calloused hand wrapping around my arm. Although my dress had long sleeves, it still felt intimate and I was still worried he'd see the bruises. I pulled away from him, my eyes dark. This amount of blood was normal for me, so normal I wondered why everyone was making such a big deal about it.

"I'm fine."