chapter 74 | judgement day

VENUS

I hear screams, the only thing I can hear and that's when the haze fades out and I see everything, I see too much.

Tobias is cradling a girl with light hair in his arms, a girl I've known for what seems forever, a girl I'll never stop remembering.

There's an ugly scarlet stain against the blackness of Tris's shirt, and the image sticks in my head like a bullet. My legs feel numb and my arms do too.

"Tris!" I cry. I fall to my knees with a heavy thud and I can't close my eyes, I can't even blink.

Tobias cries and it's the first time I've heard him cry since I was a kid. Eric tries to reach me but a guard has replaced Tris, nonchalantly pointing a gun at him. He won't shoot. Not now. Not whilst my gun is still in my reach and I reach it, I curl my fingers around it and it feels colder than it's ever felt.

I blink away my tears and pick up the metal, getting to my feet carefully.

Everyone is watching me. I feel Emily's eyes on mine, her hands over her mouth, tears in her eyes. She looks betrayed. She's trying not to look at her friend, loosing life on the floor. It's almost impossible.

I point my gun at the guard who is still aiming his weapon at Eric, and snarl. "Step back." My voice is laced with malice but my eyes are filled with tears, scratching against my throat. "I'll shoot. Don't... don't make me."

I hear the click of a gun and Tobias has his gun on Eric, who glares at him underneath his dirty blonde hair.

"Are you gonna shoot me too, Venus?" Tobias yells, not looking away from Eric, still holding up Tris's head. "Go on, do it. I know you want to."

"Shut up!" I say through clenched teeth. "I didn't mean to-"

"Didn't mean to?" There is anger in Tobias's eyes, but also grief. "Maybe I don't mean to empty this whole chamber into his head, how about that?"

"It wasn't Eric's fault, it was mine and you won't do that to me." I sounded too sure of myself. I wanted to cry, but I didn't want anyone to see me break.

Tobias got to his feet, leaving Tris there laying awkwardly with tear streaks down her face but I stopped looking. My gun shook in my hands, and with a force I couldn't have ever expected, Tobias knocked the barrel upward, snatching it from my grasp. The darkness in his eyes reminded me too much of Marcus and it was a cruel thought, then quicker than I could compensate, he pressed the gun to my head.

"It wasn't her fault, Four-" Eric yelled, but Tobias ignored him.

His eyes flickered with sadness - brown eyes glossed over, and I didn't move. I stared into his face. "I want to kill you." His voice broke, and he averted his eyes to the ground, pursing his lips. My lower lip trembled, and I understood him. I didn't know what I was thinking. I was fueled with rage, rage and idiocy, and now my friend was dying. Because I was too selfish.

"I'm... I'm sorry-"

"Lock her up," Tobias didn't look at me again, just gestured to a guard with his hand. The gun in his other hand jittered against her forehead indecisively but he knew he couldn't do it - the rage he was feeling... maybe it would never go away But he couldn't live with the guilt of killing anyone else.

I looked at him in disbelief. "Tobias-" I began, but I didn't know what to say. What was there to say?

A guard with dark eyes took my arm, and half-dragged me out of the room. My eyes left my brother's moving down to Eric who was still sitting there, wide-eyed staring after her, before the guard pushed her through the elevator doors and they closed them in.