chapter 57 | what i'll never have

VENUS

VENUS

"SNAZZY," I hear a laugh from next to me. "You don't know how happy I am. We've got this far together."

Emily smiles across at me. When I look down, I see lush panels of vegetable fields, and yellow-dressed Amity working beneath the clouds. Beneath my feet is concrete. I realize immediately that I'm on the wall.

"What are we doing here?"

"Catch on, Vee!" Emily chuckles. "Even I couldn't believe that you declined a leadership position."

I feel the blood drain from my face. "I did?"

Emily doesn't hear me, or she just ignores me. She points to the metal railings leading up to the wall. A man and a short girl is sprinting up them.

I recognize the man as soon as I see him. Which is strange, because I've only seen him twice. It's Daine, and he grins at me as soon as he sees me. "Hey, girl!" My platinum hair is ruffled beneath his large hand and he winks. "Like the sight?"

"Don't joke around with Eric's girl like that, Daine!" The short girl smirks. "He'll be pissed."

What is this? I can't think of anything else. It feels so real. It feels like I'm really standing on the wall, like I'm really talking to Emily and staring at Daine and the short girl. I can't remember where I previously was, what I was doing. This hasn't happened in my life... yet.

Is this... the future?

"He shouldn't be. I don't see a wedding ring on her finger yet, Lizzy."

Yet? And who's Lizzy?

"Still two weeks to go until you're Venus Coulter!" Emily squeals. "I didn't think you'd say yes.... but still, yeeee!"

Wait... married? When was this decided? What even is this universe?

"Venus Eaton, you're life is perfect, honey." Lizzy smiles warmly at me. "And you're little girl is, too."

My little girl.

My little girl.

And then I realize - my life isn't perfect. This is the future I'll never have.

[sorry for these short chapters, just need to sum up what has happened before we move on. i hope you understand this chapter, we still have a long way to go! love you all !! <33]