chapter 64 | no bright sides

VENUS

VENUS

TOBIAS THINKS Marcus is dead, something I cannot be sure about. I have this strange feeling - like I know he's still alive somewhere. We follow the railroad into the city.

Aria balances on the rail, Tobias making sure she doesn't wobble off and hurt herself. Our pace is suprisingly fast and we are deadly quiet.

The rails suddenly groan, and Tobias moves Aria from them as we search left and right for the approaching train. It usually always has it's lights on, but I'm not so sure it will this time. How will I get onto a moving train with Aria, that is another question.

I see the train, glimmering in the sunlight.

"We should get on." Tris says.

"Even if it's run by the Erudite?" Caleb reminds her, and I chew on the inner of my cheek.

"If the Erudite were running the train, they would have taken it to the Amity compound to look for us," Tobias says. "I think that it's worth the risk. We'll hide in the city, because right now we're just waiting for them to come and get us."

I nod in agreement and pick Aria up, which she approves of, stating how tired she is. Caleb tells Susan how to board a train, and a part of me hopes that Aria doesn't hear anything regarding jumping on a train - I don't want to scare her.

The first cart passes, and we run. My gunshot burns, but I ignore the pain once more to keep up with everyone else. Caleb and Susan enter into the middle cart, Tris throws herself inside. Tobias next, helping me safely get inside with Aria. Emily follows after me.

Aria squeaks. "That was awesome!" And I am relieved that she thinks so, because I don't know how many times more we have to do that.

I hear Tris's breath hitch in her throat and I turn around to see gleaming eyes in the shadows. Dark figures sit in the car, and there's more of them than us.

I can feel the fear radiating from Tris, but I'm not scared.

The factionless step out from the shadows, and they have weapons. I scan their faces - I don't see anyone I recognize until I see a signature black eyepatch covering the left eye of a young blonde-haired boy.

"Edward!" I shriek in relief, and his one remaining eye flicks over to me. As soon as he sees me, he can't deny the smile that curves his lips.

"Venus!" He says. "Nice to see you're alright!"

"Is Lucy with you?" I ask. Tris is gaping at me, wondering how I got so close with Edward. Emily even looks a little dumbfounded.

"I'm right here!" A voice purrs from the shadows. She's wearing a light blue shirt with a black and white jacket, and the Dauntless gym leggings she probably kept dear from her initiation. "Thought you forgot all about me!"

"Oh, my God!" She gasps. "Is that your daughter?"

Aria shuffles closer to me, and scans Lucy's face. "Who are you?"

Lucy leans down to her level, her grin wide. "I'm one of your mother's friends that your father doesn't like."

Aria tilts her head. "Why would he not like you?"

"Well, have you met him?" She cackles, and then immediately shuts up when my daughter frowns and shakes her head. "Oh. Well. I don't think you want to?"

"Yeah, that's enough of that subject." Tobias cuts in. "We need a favour. We need to ride into the city with you."

"What have you done for us?" A hostile looking, middle-aged woman snapped from behind Edward.

Tobias was about to speak again, but Lucy cut him off. "Like I told you four years ago, Venus, you may not realize it but you helped me so much in Dauntless, even though I declined that help. The factionless will always help you."

"Wait a second, Lucy." Edward quickly cut in. "Venus might have helped you, but what about the rest?"

Lucy rolls her eyes and is about to say something else, but Tobias steps forward so Edward's gun is aligned with his throat. I gasp a little and step forward to wrench him back, but he doesn't move.

"My name is Tobias Eaton and this is my sister Venus Eaton," He gestures across to me. "I don't think you want to push me, or any of us, off the train."

"Eaton? Really?" Edward says with raised brows. "And I sure did not think that you," He winks at me, "were related to him. I thought you had a fling or something back in initation-"

"What?" I shriek. "No way!"

Emily coughs behind me. "Wrong instructor."

I smile lopsidedly, and Edward smiles back. "Did you know that someone has been looking for you, Venus Eaton?"