chapter 77 | all the wrongs

JEANINE COULD tell that the poor girl was dying. Her divergence wasn't 100 percent unlike Tris Prior's, which was impacting the state of her health as she completed another sim. Amity remains, and well, nobody's gotten this far before. Nobody but Venus Eaton.

"As much as I'm rooting for her to open this damned box," Jeanine commented to Caleb who stood gingerly beside her. "I know that won't be happening. She decided to kill the only person who was pure enough to crank it open."

"But you're hoping that isn't true?" Caleb couldn't take his eyes from the withering girl behind the screen.

Jeanine chuckled dryly. Her smile was cruel. "If she doesn't succeed, I'll turn over every rock in this damn city until I find another viable candidate. If she doesn't succeed, then she will be dead, or I will have the pleasure in killing her. Divergents... they aren't meant to be treated as equals." She shrugged as the screen in front of them proved that Venus's health was... deteriorating completely before them. "She just better prove to be as strong as she thinks she is. Although, I will win either way."

***

Eric didn't have to take much time to find Tobias blankly strolling the hallways. When Venus's brother turned another thought-provoking circle, his head snapped up at the presence of the one person he could kill without even looking away, just a pull of the trigger and it would be over.

"Why are you here?" Tobias's voice was monotone.

"It's important." Eric said and he didn't take time to get to the point. "You hate your sister right now but I know you hate me more and I also know, that you will help me right now."

"What makes you think I will do a single thing for you?" His laugh was bitter. There was a glossy shine to his eyes but he held a face of steel.

"Venus. She left to go to Candor, to open the box."

"She what?"

"She told Emily that she had to do it. That... that she'd rather sacrifice herself for us than just get executed for what she did."

Tobias glared at Eric for a long time, then his brows creased and he shook his head. "So... why, why didn't you stop her?" His voice was louder now.

"I wasn't there, okay?" Eric growled. "For once, stop putting the blame on everyone else. It was her choice and I understand why she made it, but she can't die. It's not her time."

"Emily has arranged an army of Dauntless to fight with us. This will work. We won't lose anymore people from now."

"I'm just waiting for the moment you betray us again, betray her again. Maybe she loves you, which I can't understand, but Aria needs both of you to be there for her." Why can't you just try to be there?

Eric didn't say anything after that. He clenched his jaw, and then motioned for Tobias to follow after him, before he walked away.

***

Venus was forcing herself to stand on what seemed to be above the ruins of her broken city. She was balanced feebly on a ledge of concrete that was elevated high into the sky and across from her, was a girl who looked exactly like her. From her eyes to her hair and her pale skin, this girl was a spitting image of herself. This girl was herself. And she was taunting and destroying her and there are times when you have to be strong, this is one of them, but this is also a time where I just can't get myself to be.

"You killed Tris." It snarled, throwing a fist into Venus's face. Venus snarled and shoved away the apparition, her eyes fierce. "You're poison."

How do you look yourself in the eye and deny every single truth that they're saying? Every bad thing that I did, did it make me a better person?