chapter 66 | the truth

VENUS

THE DARKNESS behind my eyelids is thick and heavy, I force them open and stare at the ceiling above me.

Lurching from the bed, I look around. A shape lumbers toward me and stops, hesitantly. I blink and make out the figure of my brother, Tobias.

"You bitch!" I shriek, and launch myself at him. Although, just as I get to my feet to run at him, my right arm shackles on something. Metal clangs against metal and I'm tugged back, landing in a confused heap on the floor.

"Hand cuffs?" I growl, clenching my jaw. "Are you serious?"

"I was going to say that I know my sister enough to realize that she's going to throttle me when she wakes up, but..." Four glances sideways at the ceiling, thinking, his arms crossed. I glare at him, jumbled on the floor, smoke practically billowing from my ears. "...that'd probably trigger you-"

"Fuck you!" I snarl, and stumble to my feet. I try to unlock the cuff, but it requires a key that I don't have. "Where's Aria?"

"Asleep. Finally."

"Good." It felt guilty to think that my own brother would take Aria to Erudite or Dauntless, or anywhere Eric might be, but after what had happened it didn't feel unlikely.

"You scared me."

"Don't start with that shit. You betrayed me. Lied to me."

"I did it for your own good-"

"My own good?" I cry out, snapping my head around to face his. "That's a poor excuse. You thought 'she' was dead. Hell, you even blamed me for her death and struggled to forgive me even though you knew she was still alive-"

"I-"

"Shut your mouth, dick!" I throw another profanity at him. "You tried to break me with that excuse. Then you tried to make me Factionless, which Eric saved me from, because... what? You wanted me to find out she was alive by myself? Were you too scared to tell me?"

"Eric saved you?" Tobias chuckles, and I scowl at him. "What drugs have they given you?"

Grumbling, I bury my face in my hands. "I will break you." I mutter. "You've hurt me so much. Watch me fuck up your life from now on."

"That's cute." Tobias says, and creeps toward me. "Not yet, though. Promise you won't kill me as soon as I unlock this?" He jingled the padlock.

"No." I snap. "I'm eating first. You don't know me at all."

I try to breathe normally as Tobias undoes the lock. Shaking my wrist to free the cramp, I sigh out.

"You did scare me, though." Tobias's voice was quiet. "You had a seizure. For a second, I thought you were dead. Aria was scared, but Emily reassured her."

I swallow hard, thinking about how terrified Aria must've been. I blink tears from my eyes. "It's just stress." My voice became strictly monotone. I purse my lips and slide out of bed, stretching. My shoes are still on, I tighten my laces and run my bitten-down nails through my hair.

"I don't want to see Evelyn."

"She didn't know you and Eric weren't on good terms."

"Weren't on good terms? That's an understatement." I say, blinking my heavy eyes. I'm still tired.

"She isn't as bad as Marcus." Tobias mutters. "Remember how he'd hit us?"

I press my front teeth together, catching my lip.

Tobias lying to me, our mother being alive all this time... She could've gotten to me back in Abnegation, took me away from Marcus.

But she didn't, and it feels like a punch.