chapter 26 | final punch

VENUS

VENUS

IT IS the last day of physical initiation, but I didn't know the instructors would pair us with our worst enemies. Apparently, they've watched our progress and put us up against the people we're most likely to fail against.

And if we lose this fight, there's a possibility we're out. That's my case, anyway. Written in block capitals on the blackboard, states the fights:

EMILY / OLLIE

I'm pretty sure Emily will win this. Even though Ollie is small and quick, Emily has a lot more strength. I'm sure of it.

VENUS / RHETT

I'm up against my worst enemy for the second time in a week. I hoped I'd be against Peter or Molly, but I'm not in luck. Losing this fight will destroy my rank, winning this fight will save me. I have been scared before, but strangely this time I'm not. I want to get this over and done with, and I'll accept my fate as it comes. I'm determined to not let Rhett win, I can use his injured leg to my advantage.

TRIS / PETER

I'm pretty sure Tris will fail, like she did previously. I've heard something happened to her in the dormitories which caused her to beat Molly, but I'm pretty sure her anger has diminished now.

CHRISTINA / MOLLY

Christina lost her fight against her last time, I just hope she doesn't lose it again. Because last time, she was dangled over the chasm by Eric. I'm pretty sure the memory of that incident will push her through the fight.

WILL / AL

Will lost this last time, but he has improved since then. It seems like a fair fight if Will can get in a couple good hits, and Al might just fake it if he wants to. Although, that would make him Factionless.

KATHLEEN / HARMONIE

Harmonie will easily win this. Kathleen isn't the strongest initiate here, and her sister's death has distracted her from becoming any better. Harmonie has been good from the start and she is very competitive.

The last initiate, Lucy, is basically out. She hasn't got a partner unless she partners against the instructors, and I see her standing a few meters behind me with a shocked expression.

"Why haven't I been paired?" Her voice is barely a whisper, and tears brim her eyes like she knows what's happening. I walk over to her and she glances at me, then back at the board. "Why... Why-"

"It's...It's okay." I reassure her, although she firmly shakes her head. " It's probably a mistake, okay?-"

"I'm Factionless, aren't I?" She shrieks, and her wide eyes blink up at me. "I can't be!"

The next thing, she bursts into tears. Right there, in front of me. I open my mouth to say something, but nothing comes out. I've never had the capability of soothing something, I usually just get angry and tell them to shut up but recently I haven't been able to do that. Especially with Edward, especially with Lucy.