chapter 37 | femme fatale

VENUS

VENUS

"STOP! WAIT!" I scream, as Emily and Harmonie and even Ollie, Tris, Christina and Al and Will start running away from me. The forest around me is dark but I can still see them, outlined white. I try to run after them, and at times I think I'm running fast but everything around me is moving so slowly, my friends are diminishing into the distance.

Nettles sting my ankles and I trip, falling face first onto the ground. I'm in a trance, I'm in a simulation. This is just a hallucination.

I get to my feet and I start walking - slow steps, toward the darkness that unfolds before me. I have to be calm, because I know my friends wouldn't do this to me and I know I'm in a simulation - of course I am, I remember Tobias injecting me with the serum.

Is it the darkness or the loneliness that I fear? Maybe both, maybe the latter due to the fact my friends have supposedly ditched me.

The slower I walk, the quicker things move around me. I tell my self that I don't care about them leaving me, my pulse relaxes, and I see the outlines again. They are still, and I approach them with relief.

I smile. The darkness disappears.

***

"Christ!"

I wake with a jolt, springing from the metal chair. I glance around the room before letting a laugh slip from my lips.

"That was... stupid," I say. Tobias shuffles, removing the wires from his temples.

"I didn't think you were afraid of the dark?" He quizzes, setting the wires down and typing something on the monitor.

"I think it was rather being alone than anything else, to be honest," I admit and tighten my short ponytail. There is a moment of silence before I speak up again.

"What did you want to tell me?"

"Your test results." He replies, and I nod gradually.

"What about them?"

"What were they?"

I think back to the day of the aptitude test. "I'm not allowed to tell."

"Of course you can tell me, Venus." He sighs. "What's there to hide?"

"Nothing," I say, glancing down at my laced fingers. "But my stupid Abnegation result."

"Of course," He grumbles, crossing his arms over his chest. "He told you what to do, that's why you got that result."

"Wait, no." I quickly interrupt, and stand from the chair. "He told me what to do, but I didn't listen to him." I give him a tight-lipped smile. "You thought I'd do that?"

Silence stretches between us. "But you still got Abnegation?"

"That's what he said."

"It wasn't a Dauntless?" He replies, his eyebrows furrowed. "It wasn't Tori?"