chapter 71 | somewhere that doesn't exist (SMUT)

VENUS

MY HAND flies up to protect my face, and the metal of my father's belt snaps across my skin. I yelp and try to scramble away, but suddenly he is everywhere, chanting my name, telling me how weak I am.

"Venus." My name echoes in my ears. I try to block it out, covering my ears with my hands, but his voice just gets even louder. "You're so weak."

"I'm not weak..." I murmur out, drawing my knees into my chest. My skin burns as the belt hits me again, and I bite my lip, crying out.

"You couldn't even keep your daughter safe."

I open my eyes to glare up at my father, but suddenly he's not there, and it's all black.

"I kept her safe!" I scream. "She's not dead-"

"Venus!" Someone grabs my arm, shaking me. I gasp and open my eyes again. This time, I see the white walls of my holding room. Emily is sat next to me.

"It's okay."

Aria sits on the bench, looking at me with wide eyes. She hasn't spoken a word since last night, I don't want to talk to her about it but I know someday I will have to.

"Who was in your dream?" Emily asks softly.

"I don't want to talk about it." I get off the floor, slipping on my boots. "I just want to go somewhere, somewhere no one knows who I am."

"That would be impossible." Emily sighs. "Now that the Dauntless traitors are certain you're alive, you're top news."

"This has all gone wrong." I run my hands through my hair. "Completely wrong."

"Jack Kang is interrogating Eric in private right now."

"Under the truth serum?"

"I think so."

I stand there for a few moments, hoping Jack Kang gives Eric many brutal questions, hoping the truth hurts him in so many ways. I wanted him to feel pain for the torture he put me through.

And I wanted to watch.

"Where's Tris?"

Emily prodded at her side, where the metal had pierced her skin. "Getting out whatever they shot us with."

I touch my neck, grimacing. "It made them aware of who was Divergent and who was not."

My stomach drops. I spin round and march over to Aria, scanning her for the metal. I find it, just above the sleeve of her dress.

I clench my hands into fists. "They won't get away with this. I will destroy with them."

I'd finally had enough of being scared.

***

Days went by, although they felt like weeks. Every night, my dreams were on a loop - between my father and Eric. They both told me how weak I was, how I wasn't strong enough. Every while, I'd relive the day Eric shot me, and wake up crying and screaming. I was grateful that Emily didn't hate me for waking her up every single night.

Eric was being held in a cell, and visitors were not permitted. They were deciding if they should execute him or not. A part of me didn't want him to die.

The cells were slightly different to the holding rooms - they were smaller, and had metal bars instead of white walls. On the first floor, behind a steel door.

The steel door wasn't always locked, because the Candor were certain their prisoners wouldn't be able to leave.

I wanted to face him. Without him having access to any weapons, any upper hand. Just us, talking, facing our problems.