chapter 58 | don't make me forget

UNKNOWN - THREE YEARS LATER

FOR ERIC Coulter, his world had been stopped in time.

A year after he had found the circle of blood with Tobias and Tris, time stood still. He searched high and low for a sign, any sign that Venus was still alive. His Venus, was still alive.

It was the first thing that really scared him. The fact that he wasn't able to remember if he had actually shot her or not.

It was in his fear simulations every time he visited them. He thought - maybe if I relived what had happened, I wouldn't feel so terrible?

But he just felt worse.

Tobias wouldn't talk to him. Not that they had anyway. Last time Eric had seen him was in the cafeteria, in a fight.

Even Peter wouldn't talk to him, and Rhett just looked bored. Bored because he didn't have anyone to mess with. Eric decided he would shove him over the chasm, although Max caught him before he fell.

Eric convinced Max to stop looking for Divergents whilst they searched for the Box, the artifact they needed, and waited for Jeanine and the Erudite to establish some technical machinery for finding Divergent's with.

Eric's life was falling apart.

Around the two year mark, the patrols that had been searching to find any traces of Venus told Eric there was no use in looking anymore. He told them to keep looking, otherwise he would shoot them. And he shot at least two of them.

It seemed mandatory for Max to check on Eric every so often, and every time his apartment was smashed and destroyed. He wasn't dealing with it, and he found himself crying most nights. It wasn't the sort of thing Eric would do, or at least something no one could imagine him doing, but he didn't care. As long as no one saw, he could cry all he wanted.

He would cry for Venus anywhere, if that could bring her back.