chapter 27 | capture

VENUS

VENUS

ONCE THE Dauntless compound is nothing but a speck in the distance, we gather around Four and Eric. I can't stand to look at Four - his words reminded me of how much he actually hates me, until the thought of him being my older brother has diminished completely.

I shake my head to clear my thoughts as Emily slips up beside me.

"Sorry," She mumbles uselessly, nudging my shoulder as she points to a cluster of guns on the cart floor beside Four's feet. "Are we shooting something?"

I suddenly realize how useless my own gun is becoming as I nod. "Most definitely each other," I joke.

"Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking!" She giggles, her voice fading.

"Everyone grab a gun!" Eric shouts and we immediately scramble toward them. I grab the gun that is closest in reach, snatching it closer to me before anyone claims it as their own. I might not need it as I have my own, but I sling it over my shoulder anyway as I return to my spot between Emily and another girl, Molly. The weight of the gun makes me wince in pain but I quickly ignore it, waiting for what Eric has to say next.

"...when I have you to remind me of it?" Eric had just finished, shoving Four in his shoulder. I would've seen it as a friendly gesture but I've been around these two instructors long enough to know that was much more of a hostile gesture.

"We'll be dividing into two teams to play Capture the Flag," Four begins to explain, his eyes gliding over the group of initiates and Dauntless-borns. "The first team will get off and hide their flag, followed by the second team." Four leans against the doorway for balance.

"Take this game seriously, as it is Dauntless tradition."

Someone asks a stupid question, which Four answers to. The boy who asked the question eventually shuts up.

"Four and I will be team captains," Eric begins. "We'll divide the transfers first." He glances across at Four, and a smirk curves the corners of his lips upward. "Since my team won last time, I'll give you the privilege of picking first."

Four raises a brow at him, before his eyes lock on a certain initiate. Rage boils in my stomach although I can't have a tantrum right here, so I clench my palms into fists as he says: "Tris."

I watch as she walks over to his side, surprised at the two different emotions I express to them. I give Tris a pugnacious glare and she returns me a look of confusion. Meanwhile, I flash Four a peek at what I really feel inside, behind my tough walls. Hurt, hurt, hurt - and a twinge of jealousy.

"Venus."

I jolt at the sound of my name, glancing up at Eric. Uncertainty makes my steps falter, and I murmur "Uhh, yeah?" under my breath.

"You're on my team." He says, and I almost let out a snort of disbelief. I'm on his team? When did he decide on that, and when did I get a say?