/ / 1. AN ENCOUNTER / /

The sound of vigorous shouting echoed through the vacant hallway, Matty stopped to listen...as the girlish voice grew familiar.

"FUCK YOU! I DON'T NEED YOU! I DON'T NEED YOU, I DON'T!!! IT'S FUCKING OVER DON'T YOU EVER-" stopping mid sentence, Matty supposed she was either listening to some guy on the other line begging for her forgiveness, or ...

He was wrong.

"OH YOU THINK I'M BEING A BITCH?! YOU THINK I'M BEING A FUCKING BITCH?!" In came the sound of a heavy smack against the wall. Matty raised his brows, somehow flinching even though she was no where near him to affect him at all.

He could feel her growing closer, he hurried and went into the bathroom, courteous enough to at least allow her to think she had been completely alone. He took a deep breath, looking at himself in the mirror. His eyes were bloodshot red, and the bags underneath them didn't make it any better.

Ellie opened the door, walking in on him. Her eyes were almost as bad as his, only her's were clearly from tears. His was from a couple hits from her brother Alex's bong in their hippie-like garage.

"Oh sorry," she shut the door quickly.

He opened it back, "no, no it's okay I'm done."

"Are you sure?" She asked, looking in every direction but up at him.

"Yeah...are you alright?" He asked.

She laughed sarcastically under her breath, "don't act like you haven't been listening to me the whole time. I knew somebody was up here."

Matty's guilt eased in right away with her words, "I was. Not because I wanted to be nosy, I just never heard you so angry before."

"You've never heard me like anything before all you do is come here to hang out with my brother and smoke his weed and lord knows what else, so don't act like you know me." She pushed her way into the bathroom and pushed the door shut as upon it her back rested. She couldn't believe herself, Matty, was actually talking to her and she completely bitched him out.

What did it matter anyway? It was the truth after all. She couldn't take it, how could she possibly give a damn about Matty talking to her after her boyfriend had just cheated on her, lied about it, and even had the audacity to get mad for her confronting him.

There was a quiet knock at the door. She opened it to see him still standing there.

"Just wanted to tell you, you shouldn't keep yourself too busy in here crying about some adolescent..." he looked up into space as he searched for the words, "boy..." he continued, "who most likely just wants to get it in anyone he can find."

Words of truth.

Ellie opened the door, "can you come in for a second?"

He looked from side to side, it was the most awkward encounter he had ever had.

"I just want to talk to you...but not from you being outside this door...then it's kind of like I'm not actually talking to you...kind of like talking-"

"at me." He finished.

She nodded. He took a step inside and shut the door behind him. They both looked into the mirror, not at the reflection of their selves...but at one another's.

She took a deep breath,"what do guys want from girls?"

He answered right away, "sex."

"All guys?"

"All." He said.

"Even you?"

He looked away from her, now staring at himself for reassurance, "yes."

"So right now, what do you want from me?"

"You're Alex's little sister..." he looked at her again, she laughed. He smiled, she was only seventeen years old, what was he supposed to want?

"Pretend I'm not."

There was a moment of silence as he shut his eyes. Ellie waited, looking at him, every bit of him. His hair, his black slouchy t-shirt...and the little holes all around it. She wasn't sure if it was for decoration or if he just needed a new shirt.

He opened them again, looking at her, "I want to...keep talking to you...like this." He said slowly. Lies.

"You don't want sex from me?" She asked.

He shook his head uncomfortably.

"Is it because I'm ugly?" She asked.

His eyebrows furrowed, "no. You have..." he scoped her reflection and reached out for her hair, "this long...nice...dark...brownish hair." He held it up to his nose, "it smells good too."

She laughed and watched him as her hair fell back over her shoulders.

"And look at your face," he went behind her and positioned her head straight in front of the mirror, his hands were cold as ice, but she didn't mind one bit. "you have the greenest eyes I've ever seen...I like that. Your lips too...they're not the greenest," Ellie laughed again, "that would be weird. But they're so...soft looking."

He moved his hands and returned to the spot in which he stood beside her.She turned and looked at the real him, as the reflection was getting old.

"You've got a...funny face, but I like that cause you still look cool." She said.

"Well thanks I guess." He laughed and the door swung open, hitting his shoulder.

Ross.

"Oh...uhh...sorry." He shut the door quickly.

"Oh no we weren't doing anything, come in." Matty said quickly.

"Oh yeah come on in let's all just have a party in the bathroom why don't we." Ellie said sarcastically.

Ross glared at her, "smart ass."

"I should um...go back downstairs." He said, "feel better El." He left the bathroom and headed for the stairs.

Ellie couldn't help but smile.

She was alone with this guy, that she had spent half her teenage years drowning in day dreams about each time he walked into their front door or even out of it...

She came down from the clouds her head found their way to as she realized she was still standing in the middle of the bathroom with Ross. He was staring at her the entire time and she looked like a complete fool, "sorry." She left the bathroom awkwardly, shutting the door behind her.