/ / 10. ROBBERS / /

The sun crept through the blinds, shining against Matty's closed eyes and causing him to wake. He kept them tightly shut for a moment, just to keep them from burning when they'd finally open. Ellie was beside him in his arms, still asleep. She had a pretty kind of dirty face, God only knew, but he'd never leave her...even if he tried to from her pushing him away she always begged him to stay internally and he knew it. Surprisingly he had almost forgotten entirely that she'd spent the night, and that they'd slept together as well.

He hadn't slept so well in months, and probably wouldn't have at all if he hadn't been so spoiled by Ellie in bed. He felt bad that it was simply a time of need between them both to make it happen, rather than some sort of special significance...but if he thought about it for a while longer, there was a special significance. That they cared about one another, that they knew one another for so much time.

He slowly moved his arm from under her, hoping not to wake her. She turned over on her side, continuing her sleep. He got out of bed and went to the drawer, searching around for two beanie caps.

Ellie turned around to see him, covering her mouth as she yawned, "hey, what time is it?" She asked.

Matty turned around, pulling out a beanie and tossing it onto the bed, still searching for the second.

"It's seven o'clock or something like that." He said.

She hugged the blanket close, remembering she wasn't wearing a top, "I need to call my parents." She looked around for her blouse and pulled it over her head, getting dressed.

Matty pulled out a black bandana as the search for another beanie became unpromising, sitting back down on the bed, "can you hand me those scissors." He pointed to the table beside her, completely engaged in his task in which Ellie was unsure of.

She reached over and grabbed them, handing them to him and watching, "what are you doing?"

"Making you a balaclava." He said, carefully and skillfully cutting a circle through the center of one of the beanies.

"What?" She asked, crawling over to his side of the bed and resting on her knees as she watched.

"For today...I know the exact shop it would be easiest to rob. We can talk about it over breakfast, I have a couple bucks. I can use it all on breakfast because we'll be getting more when we're done anyway." He smiled as he said so.

"Matty...I thought we were just...kidding." She said slowly.

He looked up at her, "kidding? You can't be serious..."

She nodded, "you can't be serious, Matty, we can't rob a shop...that's just stupid."

He sighed, putting the scissors and the beanie down, "Ellie, would I have went on like that last night if I were kidding? Would I have even said that at all if I was kidding?"

"Well...it's--"

"The only thing you can do to make your situations better. Ellie, you need this. Together we can make it happen. We can help Alex out, help your parents out--"

"What's in it for you?" She asked, concerned in his adamant views in which he forced upon her, no one could be so pushy unless there was something in it for them too.

"Helping Alex, you, and money of course. What else?" He got up and grabbed a cigarette from the drawer top, lighting it up. The smoke hazed around him and made its way to Ellie.

She sighed nervously, grabbing the beanie and looking at it. Matty watched her, waiting for her to realize they needed this.

"What shop?"

"The liquor store your brother and I go to."

----------------------------------------------------------

Ellie looked down at her pancakes, not hungry even the slightest. She'd normally be starved at this time of the morning but she just didn't have it in her to eat. She watched Matty who looked exactly the same, yet forced himself. He was cute the way he ate and looked around the room, his hair uncombed and his shirt unbuttoned slightly.

She'd almost began to look just as messy as him, with her hair all over the place and dressed in his clothes...they both wore all black, and his pistol sat in her purse. She too, looked around the room nervously. It was almost as if everyone knew...everyone knew what they were up to and what they had on them...from the gun, to the cocaine they'd stored for later.

She'd always vowed to never do anything too hardcore involving drugs, but it was as if they were the only thing bringing her joy, next to Matty. Ellie didn't know where her life was heading but she had never felt so infinite and alive.

"I'll be back," she looked at him, running her finger against her nose to show him what she meant.

He nodded as she took her bag and headed into the bathroom. She pushed the door open and looked around, roaming through her purse, taking out the coke and quickly lining it up against the mirror shelf. Her heart raced in her chest almost burning as she tried to hurry before anyone could come in. She threw her purse on the floor as she could hear footsteps, snorting the substance and feeling the rush. She rubbed her nose as it stung, holding it and hoping not to bleed as she knew could happen.

She looked at herself in the mirror quickly for reassurance, then finished the line. The door swung open just as she finished, a young woman and her kid walking through. She smiled awkwardly, and attempted to fix her hair. She saw them go into the stall from the mirror, she then grabbed a napkin from the dispenser and took out her lipstick, writing on it, chuckling to herself in the thought of Matty's look for the day.

If she didn't say anything else before they'd possibly get caught or not, it was this. She grabbed her purse from the floor and headed back out into the diner. Matty sipped his orange juice, turning around to see her. She sat down, his shirt hanging off her shoulders. Struggling to keep it up she slid him the napkin and laughed slightly.

He opened it and read, You look so cool, xoxo.

"You too." He laughed also, forcing down a bit of pancakes.

She pushed her plate aside, speaking quietly. "So, the guys are driving, we're going in..."

Matty nodded, finishing, "you have your backpack, fill it up with the cash..."

"And then you have the gun, and tell them to put it in."

He continued to nod, taking a napkin and wiping his mouth, "and then as soon as we come outside, they'll be coming and we'll be going."

Ellie smirked, the affects of the coke took away her nervousness and she was now pumped for anything.

"Ready?" He asked.

She nodded and took one last sip of her orange juice, Matty took out his wallet and looked at the bill, pulling out the exact amount.

------------------------------------------------------------

Matty looked at Ellie as they grew nearer to the shop, she too looked at him, realizing that they'd either win or lose together. He reached out and grabbed her hand, lacing his fingers with her's. It reassured her that everything was going to be okay and even if it wasn't it still would be because she wasn't alone. His palms were sweaty and so were hers, clearly out of nervousness.

They looked down the streets they'd cross, making sure it was clear, seeing George, Ross and Adam parked in Matty's van where they'd told them to. Matty nodded to them, signalling that it was time. George sat up, getting ready.

Matty looked at her one more time before she put on his homemade balaclava. He remembered when he found her, she was much younger than she was now. She'd gone from being just his mates little sister that he'd watch grow up, to now his partner in crime...and she was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. She looked up at him through her big green eyes, he pulled the bandanna around his neck up over his nose, she kissed him as it would probably be the last time...feeling his lips through the fabric. At last she pulled her balaclava over her face.

She handed him his gun, and together they ran into the shop.