/ / 9. IS THERE SOMEBODY WHO WATCH YOU / /

Looking down at her brother after what had just happened to him, was probably the hardest thing Ellie ever had to do. She couldn't take the rush of emotions, of guilt and sorrow. Her stomach ached as the doctor's voice continued to ring through her ears. She wanted him to shut up, she wanted him to leave. She wanted even her parents to leave, just so she could sit with Alex alone and apologize...whether he was unconscious or not.

"He has a minor concussion and a broken arm, but he will be fine." He concluded.

"Thank you so much." Mrs. Moore nodded, taking a seat in the chair next to the hospital bed.

"Ellie, did you know your brother had been drinking?" Mr. Moore asked, comforting her mother with his arm around her shoulders.

Ellie shrugged slowly, afraid to answer.

"Ellie, did you or did you not?" He asked.

"We were at the same party. I could tell he'd probably been drinking a little...but I-"

"You knew? And you let him drive?" Mrs. Moore looked up at her in disbelief. It was as if she wanted to kill her with those eyes.

Ellie took a seat also, in a chair across from her parents facing the bed. It felt as though she had dropped the weight of their questions right where she sat.

"Ellie, what use are you? What in the world have you done in all these years to prove to us that we've raised you right? Do you care about any of us, our feelings, our safety, anything?!" Mrs. Moore got onto her feet, livid.

"Mum, so you're blaming me that my older brother got behind the wheel while drunk?"

"I'm not blaming you, I'm telling you that you know better. Now we have to pay for all the damages and this family has no money all because of you!" She cried, "everything is gone because we decided to send you to university and you don't even show us that you deserve that!" The tears streamed endlessly down her face.

Ellie looked at Alex, clearly realizing now in the worst situation, that he had been their favorite. She walked out of the room, without another word. The hallway was cold and quiet, and had the typical smell of a hospital. She looked at every door around, wondering just how many people would be dying tonight, and thinking how it could have been Alex.

Just as she felt, was just as her parents believed. She didn't have a right to see Alex, she had already ruined enough for all of them. Matty stood up from his chair in the waiting room, looking at her.

"How is he?"

"He's not the best, he has a minor concussion and broken arm...but he'll be alright...or so we were told..." She said.

Matty nodded, a bit relieved yet still feeling the same.

"Hey...is it alright if I come over? Just a few hours until my parents can calm down, they're mad at me...just like I told you, its my fault. They can't afford the damages, I should have been there for him..." She said hesitantly, digging her hands into her pockets.

"Ellie, I don't think we should really...be around each other." He shook his head, "especially now."

Her eyes trailed down at her shoes, in need of distraction as she noticed things she hadn't noticed before to occupy her mind... such as the dirt against her boots, and that one lace was coming undone.

"Can't you call Andrew?" He suggested, feeling overwhelmed by all of the weight and responsibility he felt he had because of her. He never meant for anything to escalate. For both of their own good, it was probably best it didn't.