/ / 23. ME / /

The door of the flat swung open, Matty hurried to the bedroom and Ellie followed. He went through the closet and threw four of eleven pairs of the same exact jeans into his bag, snatching random shirts from their hangers after. Ellie couldn't take the rush, every second of it drove her mad and she desperately desired for normality to make its way back. She pulled him close as he turned around, clutching onto the fabric of his shirt.

He kissed her quickly and broke away from her lips as he went through the drawer for more of his things. Ellie sighed and waited for him to come back around, "Matty, I think you should slow down."

"I nearly killed somebody, don't you mind? Ellie I can't, and neither can you. You might as well just grab some of my clothes to wear too for the meantime." He said, focused as he zipped his bag.

Ellie took a deep breath, looking around the room. It was crazy, the whole idea of being on the run. Packing the smallest things and leaving all the biggest behind...their hopes, their dreams, their friends and their family. She couldn't do it, and she wouldn't. She walked out of the room, Matty watched after her.

"Ellie, there's no time to get sad now, I know this is scary but-" He walked in after her, to see her pulling out scissors and a hair clipper.

She plugged the clippers up, her heart racing as she clicked the switch to see if it worked. As it did, she looked up at Matty, her eyes trailing to his hair.

"Fuck no." He shook his head.

"Sit down." She put the toilet cover down for him, waiting.

"No, Ellie. You're not cutting my fucking hair." He protested.

"It's either the hair, or you getting fucked in the ass in jail somewhere down the line." She snapped.

He looked at her in pure anxiety, before taking a seat. She sighed, running her fingers through his dark locks one last time before they'd soon fall to the ground. He watched each one fall where he sat.

"You know they say that when you cut your hair, all of the worries they grew from go away." She said quietly.

"So the worries from my head?" He asked.

Ellie laughed softly, "I guess, yeah."

She unplugged the clippers and set them on the counter, taking one more look at him. He looked exactly the same to her...only with nothing hanging over his face. She didn't have time to talk about it, she grabbed the scissors and immediately began to chop her own hair from its long length, up to her neck. Matty stood up, looking into the mirror and rubbing his head which still had a very short amount of hair on it.

He watched her as she finished one side of her own. No longer able to sweep her hair across her neck to the other side, but instead pushing it behind her ear before he planted a kiss against her cheek while she cut the other side. She smiled slightly.

"We're not leaving, okay?" She said, "you were having a moment of panic, and having unwise ideas...I think its best if you stayed with one of the guys for a while...and get rid of the van, sooner or later."

"Right." He said.

Ellie set the scissors down as he looked at her poorly cut hair in the mirror. It was the worst thing she could have done to herself but the only way out of the chaos they'd created for their selves.

"How about staying with you?" He asked.

------------------------------

Not having a key for the first time sent an apprehensive feeling through Ellie as she and Matty waited at her front door, both covering their ghastly new hair cuts with beanie caps. Alex opened the door at last, looking at them both with a face of rage.