/ / 6. YOU BITE YOUR FRIENDS LIKE CHOCOLATE / /

Matty took in the scent of Ellie's perfume, her lips were soft and he could feel her sensitivity through the language of her body. He pulled away quickly, come on Matty you did better when you were drunk. He sighed and ran his hands through his hair quickly, looking in every direction but at her.

"Sorry, I dunno what the hell I was doing." He shook his head, opening the door.

Ellie sat there, just where he had left her. Looking down at her lap with more than a thousand thoughts tracing her fragile mind. Matty hurried to the front seat and shut the door.

"I'm really sorry." He repeated.

At last Ellie scooted back into place and put her seat belt on, she didn't understand why everything was so bad. Just because it was her? If she were any other girl, he wouldn't have cared. If she were any other girl, he'd continue to kiss her. She looked out of the window, ignoring him.

He started up the car, waiting a moment in just as much misunderstanding as Ellie. Alex's sister? Are you fucking kidding? As if there is no higher degree of disrespect? What the hell is wrong with you? Everything will be fine, just get her home, and don't think about it. Get her home, and don't think about it.

They headed out onto the road with a smooth ride as traffic was light and easy. The entire ride was spent almost in silence, aside from a few times Matty coughed from his blackened lungs. Ellie leaned down to grab her shoes, suddenly wishing they'd crash. She wanted to die. She was humiliated, and she didn't need the embarrassment in front of Matty Healy making her remember how much of a humiliation her entire life was.

She fought the tears which swelled and stung in her eyes as she put her shoes on. Why did I even come? Why didn't I just stay home...he doesn't even like you. You're a joke to him. He couldn't even kiss you.

"I'm just gonna drop you off a house down, it's too dark for me to drop you off down the street." Matty said, Ellie had almost forgotten altogether what his voice sounded like through all the noise of their silence.

"Okay." She said quietly as they continued and slowed in front of the neighbor's yard. She opened the door even though the car hadn't stopped. She needed a way out, she couldn't stand to be around him for even just one more second.

"Night..." she heard him say through the glass of the window.

She didn't look back, walking up to her door, knowing he was still behind watching her go inside. She took her keys out and opened the door, hurriedly as the tears she'd held back finally fell all at once.

"Ellie, where have you been?" Mrs. Moore stood up, her rage turning to sympathy as she saw her daughter in tears.

"I went out okay, I sneaked out." She told the truth, she didn't feel like lying. The one thing she hated was her need to be cradled when she felt so alone.

"What's the matter, what happened to you?" Mrs. Moore completely ignored the fact that Ellie had disobeyed her.

"Nothing." She said, wiping her face and running up the stairs. She shut the door behind her and took off her sweater, throwing it aside and crawling into bed, too miserable to spend time getting into pajamas.

"Could you go see what happened to your sister?" Her mother's muffled voice sounded through the door. She sighed and turned off the light, quickly, throwing the blankets over her head.

There was a knock on the door, Ellie sighed, "go awaaaaaaaay!" She was tired of everyone checking on her. Tired of being treated like a kid, all the time.

The door opened slowly, anyway.

"Ellie?" It was Alex, "what's wrong?"

His voice made her feel even more miserable, it seemed as though just those two words could always make a person cry harder, or feel even more depressed in their situations...or at least it did for her.

"Nothing." She said.

He turned on the light.

"Turn it off!" She hugged the blankets even tighter over her head.

The lights went off quickly, "is it that Andrew guy? What the fuck did he do to you? Is it any guy? Who was it?"

Ellie sighed, "Alex, could you just go? It's nothing...." she longed for an excuse, searching in her mind, "I'm just on my period." She lied.

"Oh..." It worked.

"Why didn't you just tell mum then?"

"I didn't want to, now can you go?"

The door closed at last, and Ellie was left alone to herself. Her phone buzzed and immediately she seized it. To her dismay, it wasn't Matty.

Andrew (1)

She opened it hesitantly.

"Can we talk?"

Ellie looked around the darkened room, contemplating.

"What about." She replied.

"Us... I'm sorry." He replied in almost an instant. She didn't care what he was saying, she just didn't want to be alone anymore.

"Me too."

"Can I call you?"

Even if she had replied right away, it didn't matter, he called anyway, and she answered.

-----------------------------

Andrew was a tall guy with curly brown hair, and a boyish charm. Every girl in school had a crush on him at one time or another, including Holly before they knew one another. Ellie and he had known one another for almost four years, and dated for two. She couldn't stand him, yet she loved him too. Their makeup felt unreal, and it didn't even make her happier as she thought it would. He wrapped his arm around her on the couch where they sat flipping through the channels.

He leaned in and pressed his lips against her neck softly. He was also sly. Ellie smiled and leaned her head as far away as she could. The door swung open and Alex and his friends came wandering in, clearly high, again. Ellie's heart raced as she saw Matty, entering last and shutting the door. He looked over at her and Andrew on the couch, and to her surprise he looked disappointed.

Andrew sat up a bit, clearly intimidated. He knew who Matty was, almost everyone did. Girls craved him and guys loathed him out of envy.

"Hey Ellie," Alex said, looking over at Andrew then back to her, "the guys have got a gig tomorrow at the lounge and I'm going. Want to come? We're trying to bigger the audience." He said, "you can come too if you want." He said to Andrew.

"I'll come." Andrew said, same for her, it was pleasuring to him to hang out with the older croud.

"Sure I guess." Ellie said.

"You guess?" He asked, trying to keep himself from laughing, "all you do is ask when their next gig is and then when you're told of one, you say you guess? What's gotten into you?" Alex looked at her in confusion, then headed into the garage with the others.

Ellie turned back to the TV, she hadn't expected to see Matty at all, not after the awkwardness of lastnight. He headed into the garage with the others after taking one last look at the two where they sat on the couch.