/ / 15. HER / /

The air was cool as it brushed smoothly against Matty's face. Walking through the darkened streets hesitantly, his heart sped up in pace, thinking of what he would say to Alex when he would reach him. He thought a second time, just once more, before he continued on his way, listening to the still wind.

A shadow came into view in the darkened streets. He walked towards it, aimlessly, realizing it was Alex himself. He came to a halt, looking him in the face, as Alex did the same...trying to pass him. Matty turned as he did so, digging his hands into his pockets as a crutch, "where are you going?" He asked.

Alex turned back around, "why do you care?"

His response reminded him too much or Ellie, he looked down the empty street as it glistened from the lights, "I was just going to see you..." he said slowly.

Alex shrugged, "what do you want?"

Matty sighed, frustratedly, "I want to talk to you." He said.

"Now?" Alex asked, "don't you think it's a little late?"

"I was late...but I arrived." He said carefully, seeing what felt like hatred in Alex's eyes.

"You were with my sister..." Alex said, "and you told her."

"She asked me..." Matty said.

"She asked you if I kissed you?" Alex shook his head, looking down at his pack of cigarettes in hand.

"Alex what's the big deal anyway?"

"You tell me." He said, looking at Matty, "you're the one who left me there like I was a fool-" Seeing everything narrow and self-centered, he felt as though all his problems were gonna be the end of the world, and at the moment that's how it seemed.

"Don't go throwing the blame at me, okay?!" Matty's voice grew higher as the memory brought back his feelings of guilt.

"I'm not, but how am I supposed to feel after that?! I understand if you're not into me I just wish you at least didn't make me feel-"

Matty grabbed Alex's face in his hands, pulling him close and pressing his lips against his as they crashed into them. His mind fragile, and his heart just as. He didn't know what he felt in the moment, and neither did Alex as he kissed him back. The two took in one another's emotions, thinking of nothing else except right then and there.

Ellie hopped off her bike, running down the street as she pushed it, breathless as she stopped dead in her tracks, seeing the two down the street under the lights... occupied with one another's lips. Her hair blew swiftly as she contemplated on her next move, unable to believe what she was seeing. As much as she'd fallen for Matty over time, she knew how much more he meant to Alex...and clearly Alex meant just as much to Matty...otherwise they wouldn't be so fixed on one another.

It was the way they were...and always had been. They'd done everything together... and she'd seen it all. Smoking by eleven, and knocking around town..bleeding bumps on their arms as they were never quite good at selling...Ellie now questioned why she always thought Matty was so cool, she always believed he had a wonderful vision...with his band and his amazing mind...but she soon found out that, it didn't matter...how she felt...he and Alex were always closer than she and he would ever be.

Alex was the last person she'd ever expected to fall in love with Matty, or any man. She knew their parents would have a fit if they knew, and she'd never tell. They pulled away from one another, Matty turning around to the same direction in which Alex stared.

His heart sank as he saw tears swelling up in Ellie's eyes. Just from one kiss, he knew it all...he knew what he wanted. Her.

"I..." she spoke up, a bit, allowing her hair to fall over her face as she hid away the tears, "I was just checking to see if Alex was alright...now I know he is...I'm...I'm going home." She said slowly, speaking aimlessly with only what words came to mind first as she climbed back onto her bike.